• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm revolver

comparing ballistics needs to be a true comparison. first use near or same barrel lengths, the most productive projectile weight from that cartridge, a ammunition that is designed for that barrel length (powder Burn rate).
I doubt that much if any 9 MM 124 grain will come near a 125 grain JHP 357 magnum round.
Operating pressures of 35,000 - 9MM vs 40, 000 357 mag should tell us something IF using like projectiles.
but hey carry what puts a smile on your face.

I do agree that it will vary from load to load, and even pistol to pistol. I've always understood that the 357 uses a slower burning powder, which is why it does so well out of a carbine. Using a carbine length barrel on 9mm doesn't seem to make a huge difference at all.

I'm also not saying that 9mm is 'better', just that it gives similar numbers in many cases and the fact that in a snubby it works hand-in-glove with my primary as far as ammo goes.

One thing I can definitely say is that I would rather carry 9mm in a snubby than any type of 38 special, but for me the big advantage is just dealing with one type of ammo and having my spare mag be a handy repository for my backup gun as well.

Because for most defensive purposes its more than good enough for the job?

The same could be said for decent .38 Special...

Also because .38 predates 9mm Parabellum by... a lot. It was a standard service and police handgun until the adoption of self-loading pistols. So it persists because there are so many of them still around, and the cartridge stays popular because it is cheap and can also be fired easily (without fiddly bits) in .357 Mag revolvers.

Well let's look at the history...

The .38 Special was originally a black powder cartridge that came into being in 1899.

The 9mm Luger was developed in 1902 for use in the Luger pistol. Three years isn't...a lot.

.38 SP is directly derived from the rimmed .38 which is.... much older. 9mm luger is completely different.
First I've heard of that. Everything I've ever read stated the .38 Special was an entirely new cartridge, vastly improved over the .38 S&W. The cases are even different diameters.

Yup, 38 is an old black-powder cartridge from what I understand, which explains the low pressures and the huge case for so little powder.

The 9mm isn't quite that old, but it still was designed back in 1902. One of the first to take advantage of the new smokeless powders by shrinking the case and raising the pressures.

Maybe I missed something, but why reinvent the wheel(gun) when there are endless choices in semi-autos that work great and hold two or three times the amount of ammo?

I prefer a revolver as a car/truck gun; because when fired from inside the vehicle you don't have to contend with hot expended shell casings ricocheting around inside the vehicle.

I prefer a revolver as a car/truck gun; because when fired from inside the vehicle you don't have to contend with hot expended shell casings ricocheting around inside the vehicle.
If you are firing your weapon inside your vehicle. hot shell casings ricocheting around inside are the least of your concerns.
Besides incoming rounds the noise factor inside a car is enough to make you permanently deaf. Ear protection? Get a silencer? It's only a truck gun.

If you are firing your weapon inside your vehicle. hot shell casings ricocheting around inside are the least of your concerns.
Besides incoming rounds the noise factor inside a car is enough to make you permanently deaf. Ear protection? Get a silencer? It's only a truck gun.
I'm guessing you never had a hot shell casing fall down your collar. :D

Back
Top Bottom