• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A peek at your CCW

Contacting someone via PM does NOTHING to prove in any way, shape, or form that the buyer isn’t a convicted felon, or otherwise prohibited to own or possess a firearm.

A look at the buyer’s WCL would go a long way to showing that the seller made a “reasonable” effort. That term is used a lot in the law.

A prosecutor could make an argument that the seller failed to make even a minimum effort to confirm that the buyer wasn’t prohibited from owning a firearm. An argument that would take an attorney and money to fight. The prosecutor takes their argument to the Grand Jury, which is made up of your “peers”. As someone who has testified to Grand Juries more times than I can count, I can see the possibility of getting them to buy that argument. Now you’re charged and have an expensive legal battle on your hands.

Do you have any idea how long it would take an LE agency to go through the steps that you just described? No, you don’t, because you have no frame of reference for it. In the meantime, there’s a possibly that you are being detained. That’s a lot of fun.

FWIW, I don’t do bills of sale, and I can’t remember the last time I required someone to produced their toter’s permit, but I understand why some folks require it.
I don't disagree with any of what you said. however one still can not provide proof that one ask for and were shown a permit unless copies or info were recorded

All of that stuff is public record. If someone really wants any of that info, they can readily obtain it without ever meeting you, or ever being in the same state as you.
Yea i know, but if someone is provided said info it is that much easier. Really I am ok with people requiring what ever they want in order to sell their items. I am just saying asking someone to show a GWCL Doesn't prove they are not now a prohibited person, and they have no way to prove later that they even ask.

I don't disagree with any of what you said. however one still can not provide proof that one ask for and were shown a permit unless copies or info were recorded

You DO NOT need proof that you looked at a permit.

The fact that you looked at the permit is admissible in court. You are innocent until proven guilty. Most folks believe what other folks tell them. You tell a jury that you looked at a permit, and most jurors will believe you. You don’t have to convince all the jurors......just several. If you can get just a few to believe you, then the jury cannot find your guilt “beyond a reasonable doubt”. That means that you would be acquitted.

But what do I know about prosecuting criminal cases, as well as limiting your personal liability.........

Yea i know, but if someone is provided said info it is that much easier. Really I am ok with people requiring what ever they want in order to sell their items. I am just saying asking someone to show a GWCL Doesn't prove they are not now a prohibited person, and they have no way to prove later that they even ask.

If someone is just provided that kinda info BECAUSE you met them on the ODT and bought a gun off them, they aren’t the kinda scammers that you should be worried about. If you’re worried about scammers getting your info to hack into your life, pardner, they ain’t a-gettin’ that info from you in the WalMart parking lot.

I never said it’s proof. The FACT of the matter is, it shows that you did your DUE DILIGENCE in the matter, and, as such, you have GREATLY limited your liability if things should go south at a later date. Also, I stated in another post that you do not need proof that you looked at the permit.

A HUGE part of my role as an Instructor of LE and civilians is how to limit your liability when things go south. As a paid professional of nearly 30 years, I can state unequivocally that asking a purchaser of your firearm in the state of Georgia for their GWCL will LIMIT/LESSEN your liability. I can guarantee that if things go south later, you are waaaaay better off stating that you looked at their GWCL (even without proof that you did so), than stating that you DID NOT look at their permit. That’s just common sense.

At the very least, looking at they buyer’s GWCL is cheap insurance. Even if it doesn’t help, it sure as hell ain’t gonna hurt.

I agree,
I don't feel bothered by someone asking for ccw.
It's due diligence on practice what we preach.

Also, selling to a felon or other prohibited person is still illegal...even you didn't know.

The law actually Ga. Code § 16-11.125, et seq: May not knowingly transfer a firearm to anyone who is prohibited by federal law. Technically, you're correct but that "knowingly" part could be drastically misinterpreted by a leftist DA, Fed or otherwise...
Knowingly in laws are pretty defined, in the context of the GA code, it kind of means what it says, you have to know ahead of time that you are selling a weapon to someone who is prohibited from purchasing or possessing
a firearm...
https://definitions.uslegal.com/k/knowingly/

If someone is just provided that kinda info BECAUSE you met them on the ODT and bought a gun off them, they aren’t the kinda scammers that you should be worried about. If you’re worried about scammers getting your info to hack into your life, pardner, they ain’t a-gettin’ that info from you in the WalMart parking lot.

I never said it’s proof. The FACT of the matter is, it shows that you did your DUE DILIGENCE in the matter, and, as such, you have GREATLY limited your liability if things should go south at a later date. Also, I stated in another post that you do not need proof that you looked at the permit.

A HUGE part of my role as an Instructor of LE and civilians is how to limit your liability when things go south. As a paid professional of nearly 30 years, I can state unequivocally that asking a purchaser of your firearm in the state of Georgia for their GWCL will LIMIT/LESSEN your liability. I can guarantee that if things go south later, you are waaaaay better off stating that you looked at their GWCL (even without proof that you did so), than stating that you DID NOT look at their permit. That’s just common sense.

At the very least, looking at they buyer’s GWCL is cheap insurance. Even if it doesn’t help, it sure as hell ain’t gonna hurt.
I agree with that it definitely cannot hurt. However one could just say they looked at a permit based on what you posted. Like I stated previously I'm okay with somebody asking for a permit I don't do it, I don't feel it a necessity in a transaction. I may or may not provide one depending on the circumstances and who's doing the requesting . There are guys on this fourm doing a lot worse stuff than selling Firearms without requesting a permit. The likelihood of somebody being prosecuted for unknowingly selling a firearm to a prohibited person or someone who was about to use it in crime isn't likely. I personally don't know of a case where that's happened do you know of one? If you do could you send me the link or something because I would like to read up on it. I have no doubt you're more knowledgeable in these court cases than I and above statement about if you know of a case send it to me was serious not sarcastic.

Back
Top Bottom