• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A peek at your CCW

I can memorize your driver's license number and date of birth in 15 seconds. I have never had to write down phone numbers or birthdays. How many more people like me are out there, that may not be as honest as I am?

That's why I never let anyone see it for more than 14 seconds.

Truth is, if you list items on here and u use the PM system to set up the transaction you have a record of who and when you sold the firearm. A warrant to the ODT will produce the buyers personal information that we all provided to set up an account. Someone asking to see or flash me your wcl proves nothing, it does not prove the person you are selling to is not a prohibited person and you have zero proof you requested and we're shown a valid WCL. If it makes you feel better go for it, just know you're running laps.

Contacting someone via PM does NOTHING to prove in any way, shape, or form that the buyer isn’t a convicted felon, or otherwise prohibited to own or possess a firearm.

A look at the buyer’s WCL would go a long way to showing that the seller made a “reasonable” effort. That term is used a lot in the law.

A prosecutor could make an argument that the seller failed to make even a minimum effort to confirm that the buyer wasn’t prohibited from owning a firearm. An argument that would take an attorney and money to fight. The prosecutor takes their argument to the Grand Jury, which is made up of your “peers”. As someone who has testified to Grand Juries more times than I can count, I can see the possibility of getting them to buy that argument. Now you’re charged and have an expensive legal battle on your hands.

Do you have any idea how long it would take an LE agency to go through the steps that you just described? No, you don’t, because you have no frame of reference for it. In the meantime, there’s a possibly that you are being detained. That’s a lot of fun.

FWIW, I don’t do bills of sale, and I can’t remember the last time I required someone to produced their toter’s permit, but I understand why some folks require it.

I can memorize your driver's license number and date of birth in 15 seconds. I have never had to write down phone numbers or birthdays. How many more people like me are out there, that may not be as honest as I am?

All of that stuff is public record. If someone really wants any of that info, they can readily obtain it without ever meeting you, or ever being in the same state as you.

Just to make sure they’re most likely not selling to a felon that’s refrained from purchasing a firearm legally. The thinking is, if you can clear the background check and obtain a CCW, you’re gtg so sellers did their “due diligence”. Also obviously to see if you’re of legal age to own a firearm (pistol).

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certified Carry Weapon

In 61 years I have never heard of this. Does it come from a time or place where a license/permit was issued to a person for a specific weapon only?

Multiple licenses/permits were required if you had multiple weapons you wanted to carry?

Very interesting, thanks.

I've still never understood the reasoning for calling a license/permit a CCW.......it does not fit.

Jerry

There was a time in Georgia, you needed a permit for each individual weapon, don’t remember exactly what it was called, but the first time I got a carry permit, I carried a pistol into the court house and they recorded the serial number and it was listed on the permit.

There was a time in Georgia, you needed a permit for each individual weapon, don’t remember exactly what it was called, but the first time I got a carry permit, I carried a pistol into the court house and they recorded the serial number and it was listed on the permit.
I'm 63 years old and that has not been the case in my lifetime

Back
Top Bottom