• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A reliable 1911....

I'm planning on buying another 1911 in the next couple of days too. If I can find someone on here that will take PayPal I will buy one from here. If not I will have to buy one from a store.

Gotta spend a visa gift card my company gave me.

This one should break 40k sometime this spring/summer. 2-3 recoil springs and a mainspring every year, and around 50k I'll likely send it back to Baer to have a new barrel fitted and the night sights replaced

i712.photobucket.com_albums_ww123_vhinch_578F47A5_027C_45A6_9711_BB7381E314BD_zpsjswwnjiy.jpg

That's the craziest post of the thread. Nobody has ever accused Glocks of being unreliable. I think they are ugly, cheap, utilitarian, and about the most reliable handgun on the market. I don't love them, but more often than not I'm trusting my life and the lives of those I love to one.
a hammer is a hammer...no matter how pretty it is.... everyone loves the prom queen ..but you taking the ugly girl home and she going to give you all that she has..every time!

So, what's the definition of "reliable"? I run 1911's, and I run them hard. Made GM in USPSA with the 1911......that takes a lot of rounds down range.

The 2 favorites I own, I would call both "reliable" by my way of thinking. Nope, not as reliable as a stock G17, but reliable enough for me to trust my life to it. I would readily turn in my issue P229 if I could carry my tuned STI Ranger II. Wouldn't hesitate.

I agree..but i see more with the 1911s that the glocks...i have had a trigger bar spring failure in a glock 17 with over 100k rounds and one broken guide rod ..but that about it on my end...

Oh for sure. The thing people often don't realize with a 1911 is that if you're going to run it hard you're going to have to be willing and able to be your own armorer.

The other big thing with 1911's is that every damn body makes one now, and a lot of those everybody's are trying to do so as cheaply as possible to stay competitive in a particular price point. It's a 100+ year old design that isn't particulary well suited to the mass production required to make them cheap.

I run as many rounds through a 1911 every year as probably anybody here and while I totally agree with you, I would add that this statement is true of every other firearm as well. If it's mechanical, it can and will fail eventually.

One of the best foot in mouth moments I ever witnessed was this self proclaimed high speed SWAT dickhead on day 1 of a 5 day class at Gunsite in Arizona who was literally mocking everyone else for bringing a backup gun because he ran a Glock 17, and everyone knows they don't malfunction. Not even 2 hours into the first morning dude breaks his firing pin and is stuck asking who has a loaner he can run for the next 4 1/2 days.
Hahaha! That's the way it always seems to go. As soon as you start running that mouth, SOMETHING will go wrong! I would've loved to have seen that!

So, what's the definition of "reliable"? I run 1911's, and I run them hard. Made GM in USPSA with the 1911......that takes a lot of rounds down range.

The 2 favorites I own, I would call both "reliable" by way of thinking. Nope, not as reliable as a stock G17, but reliable enough for me to trust my life to it. I would readily turn in my issue P229 if I could carry my tuned STI Ranger II. Wouldn't hesitate.

Yeah, but you're an antiquated old dinosaur that doesn't know any better (says the pot to the kettle)

Only fired about 50k rounds. Like new.

i96.photobucket.com_albums_l172_snickelson1_20151012_125407_zpsbyfcwgcg.jpg
One of the reasons it's been 100% reliable is that grip safety is dogged down! I love the 1911, own a couple of Colts, although I don't carry them. But if I did, you can bet your ass the grip safety would be dogged down.

The 2 favorites I own, I would call both "reliable" by way of thinking. Nope, not as reliable as a stock G17, but reliable enough for me to trust my life to it. I would readily turn in my issue P229 if I could carry my tuned STI Ranger II. Wouldn't hesitate.
I'm a novice when it comes to 1911's, 45's in general, just not my thing. How expensive is a "reliable" 1911 ? I can get a reliable Glock for $400

I'm a novice when it comes to 1911's, 45's in general, just not my thing. How expensive is a "reliable" 1911 ? I can get a reliable Glock for $400

Hard to beat a Glock for bang-for-the-buck. A good 1911 will cost quite a bit more than any of the polymer-framed handguns. Lots easier and cheaper to mold plastic than it is to machine steel.

Back
Top Bottom