• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A reliable 1911....

Oh for sure. The thing people often don't realize with a 1911 is that if you're going to run it hard you're going to have to be willing and able to be your own armorer.

The other big thing with 1911's is that every damn body makes one now, and a lot of those everybody's are trying to do so as cheaply as possible to stay competitive in a particular price point. It's a 100+ year old design that isn't particulary well suited to the mass production required to make them cheap.
yep just shoot a RIA and then shoot a Colt or Kimber..then shoot a wilson it makes you appreciate the attention to detail as you progress up the scale of fine 1911s but as it is .

This one should break 40k sometime this spring/summer. 2-3 recoil springs and a mainspring every year, and around 50k I'll likely send it back to Baer to have a new barrel fitted and the night sights replaced

i712.photobucket.com_albums_ww123_vhinch_578F47A5_027C_45A6_9711_BB7381E314BD_zpsjswwnjiy.jpg

You think a new barrel? I have a buddy who is APD SWAT (Albuquerque) who carries a Kimber that has been owned by at least 5 swat guys over the years. We assume it has seen north of 250k rounds.
Ithe still has the original barrel. Slide, barrel, and frame are the only things original left on it but he still trusts it every day as his primary duty gun.

It has zero finish left on it. It is the sexiest gun I have ever seen in my life.

I kid you not, I would pay up to 2 grand for it at any time. I have been trying to buy it for the last 8 years.

One of the reasons it's been 100% reliable is that grip safety is dogged down! I love the 1911, own a couple of Colts, although I don't carry them. But if I did, you can bet your ass the grip safety would be dogged down.

Never "dogged down" the grip safety and never needed to. YMMV.

Hard to beat a Glock for bang-for-the-buck. A good 1911 will cost quite a bit more than any of the polymer-framed handguns. Lots easier to mold plastic than it is to machine steel.
Are the 9mm 1911's "reliable" ?
Do they make a 357sig 1911 ? I'd be all up for that

You think a new barrel? I have a buddy who is APD SWAT (Albuquerque) who carries a Kimber that has been owned by at least 5 swat guys over the years. We assume it has seen north of 250k rounds.
Ithe still has the original barrel. Slide, barrel, and frame are the only things original left on it but he still trusts it every day as his primary duty gun.

It has zero finish left on it. It is the sexiest gun I have ever seen in my life.

I kid you not, I would pay up to 2 grand for it at any time. I have been trying to buy it for the last 8 years.
ought to be pretty loose by now..roll with it!

How expensive is a "reliable" 1911 ? I can get a reliable Glock for $400

And that's just it: A $400 1911 is going to be a unreliable piece of ****. It just is. You can't build one right for that.

2 good quotes from Larry Vickers sum it up well:
1911's are like Ferraris. Nothing runs better or faster, but you're going to need a good mechanic and a lot of money.
And
If you treat your guns like most people treat their lawnmower, buy a Glock.

And that's just it: A $400 1911 is going to be a unreliable piece of ****. It just is. You can't build one right for that.

1911's are like Ferraris. Nothing runs better or faster, but you're going to need a good mechanic and a lot of money.
And
AMEN!

How expensive is a "reliable" 1911 ? I can get a reliable Glock for $400

And

Truth

Back
Top Bottom