• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A reliable 1911....

I earned my Triple Nickel with my issue P229 in .357SIG. I've also passed the criteria with a G19 and a Beretta 92G. Same for my 2 John Harrison-built 1911's; a 5" SAI TRP and a 4" STI Ranger II. For me, I can pass the Triple Nickel much more often, with significantly faster times, with my 1911's than I can with my SIG or G19. Nope that ain't part of the criteria for a carry or duty gun, but I run a 1911 better than I run anything.

treat your glock like a ferrari and INFINITY period. LOL! 15000 rounds in a G19 hardly a smiley and i keep up with guide rods or replace them with the stainless.

You think a new barrel? I have a buddy who is APD SWAT (Albuquerque) who carries a Kimber that has been owned by at least 5 swat guys over the years. We assume it has seen north of 250k rounds.
Ithe still has the original barrel. Slide, barrel, and frame are the only things original left on it but he still trusts it every day as his primary duty gun.

50k was just kind of a guess. It's at 35kish now, and you can defiinitely see some rifling wear. I've only got a year or so before the night sights are toast, which should be right around 50k. 50 also seemed like a good round number to have Baer go back through it anyway, so my thinking is I'll just do it all at once.

Never "dogged down" the grip safety and never needed to. YMMV.

Me either.

about double that of a glock..but more bang for the buck 9Glock) and the more you shoot the better you are!

For one I'd be willing to carry daily and shoot as much as I do, I'd take that number and double it again. That's just me though.

Never "dogged down" the grip safety and never needed to. YMMV.
Well I have draw a 1911 on more than occasion, not that more than one wouldn't be enough, and had to readjust my grip to defeat the grip safety. Many men who have carried the 1911 into harms way, Marines and Texas Rangers just to name a few, have been know to dog down the grip safeties. It' a personal thing, based on one's experience, one way or the other. What ever works for you is best for you, as they say.

I earned my Triple Nickel with my issue P229 in .357SIG. I've also passed the criteria with a G19 and a Beretta 92G. Same for my 2 John Harrison-built 1911's; a 5" SAI TRP and a 4" STI Ranger II. For me, I can pass the Triple Nickel much more often, with significantly faster times, with my 1911's than I can with my SIG or G19. Nope that ain't part of the criteria for a carry or duty gun, but I run a 1911 better than I run anything.
yep my thoughts exacly..so i run the 1911 lefty style and the glock right because i prefer them both but i carry a glock

Funny you mention the Triple Nickel. I can get there, but to get there with any consistency I have to do it with a 1911 in 9mm, and that almost seems like cheating.

Yep. I can shoot a 1911 faster and more accurately than anything else out there. Honestly they carry better IWB for me than a Glock too.

I'm lazy though, and want my carry gun to just work. I don't want to have to worry about it rusting, I don't want to have to clean it or wipe it down. He'll, I wear my Glock while kayaking and don't worry about it when I fall in the river......and if heaven forbid something happens to it, I'm only out 400 bucks.

I also like that my Glock doesn't have a safety for me to worry about forgetting to disengage.

If I was only going to use my handguns for shooting sports I wouldn't own a Glock.

I'm planning on buying another 1911 in the next couple of days too. If I can find someone on here that will take PayPal I will buy one from here. If not I will have to buy one from a store.

Gotta spend a visa gift card my company gave me.
oh Ill take paypal as long as you cover the fees :)

Yep. I can shoot a 1911 faster and more accurately than anything else out there. Honestly they carry better IWB for me than a Glock too.

I'm lazy though, and want my carry gun to just work. I don't want to have to worry about it rusting, I don't want to have to clean it or wipe it down. He'll, I wear my Glock while kayaking and don't worry about it when I fall in the river......and if heaven forbid something happens to it, I'm only out 400 bucks.

I also like that my Glock doesn't have a safety for me to worry about forgetting to disengage.
If I was only going to use my handguns for shooting sports I wouldn't own a Glock.

You almost make a good case for me to try out a glock, just haven't had much luck in staying on target with polymer guns :(

And that's just it: A $400 1911 is going to be a unreliable piece of ****. It just is. You can't build one right for that.

2 good quotes from Larry Vickers sum it up well:
1911's are like Ferraris. Nothing runs better or faster, but you're going to need a good mechanic and a lot of money.
And
If you treat your guns like most people treat their lawnmower, buy a Glock.
AMEN![/QUOTE]
I do not agree, a used Taurus can be had for about 400 and are pretty reliable.

Back
Top Bottom