• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A slight change in tune of my opinion on the 380.

I wince at anyone claiming 1000 FPS out of a mouse gun in 380.
maybe a 4-5-6 inch barrel?--test barrel/ universal receiver.
in any regard Fiocchi loads the XTP and from factory statements the exact same loading as Hornady and its about 30-35% cheaper.
Check out the Buffalo Bore. Ever barrel except the micro. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/380auto2.html
Speer did it in the PPKs and P380.

I have always said that the 380 is insufficient for self defense. ....
However, there is now a 380 ACP bullet that falls within the FBI standard for SD. .... will consistently meet the FBI standard of penetration between 12 and 18 inches while still achieving full expansion. ...

I've always said that I'll RELUCTANTLY carry the .380, to get a gun of the right size, even if the caliber is far below .38+P or 9mm performance.

But, about a year ago other folks directed me to modern .380 ballistics gel tests, and I must say that I was impressed. When I did my own tests in clay and jugs of water and soaked-wet newspaper 20 years ago, .380s were ALWAYS suffering from either no expansion (in which case penetration was OK), or, if they mushroomed nicely, they'd STOP penetrating within 5" or so of my media.

The modern loads seem to work much better, at least on ballistic gel.

Check out the Buffalo Bore. Ever barrel except the micro. http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/380auto2.html
Speer did it in the PPKs and P380.

ahh, yes isn't that a 3 1/2-4 plus inch barrel??
not a real pocket pistol and you can do it with the bersa/ Beretta/ browning as well.
manufactures claims where they figure velocity is many times a lot different than real world pistolas.
IF you really dig behind the scenes you will find that many times to much velocity is NOT a good thing with a 380 HP, if you get to much expansion then penetration falls off significantly, where by a hard cast projectile offers waaaay to much penetration generally.
there is a sweet spot where velocity offers optimum penetration coupled with optimum expansion, but alas we are Americans so we must have the biggest and the fastest to be the bestest.

I have a .380 on me almost all the time. However I carry a more significant caliber whenever possible. But the little gun can be carried about anywhere, that's not always the case with my "better" guns.

that's always been my main argument. it may not be the best round out there but the size allows me to have it there every time. I often go to nice events where I wear tight fitting cloths and I already have a fairly slim frame so a lot of times even "compact" pistols are extremely difficult to conceal for this reason they are left in the car or house many times but the little pocket .380 is always there and that to me is the most important part.

Anyone that says .380 is not an adequate defense round is simply uneducated. The end.

Attachments

• IMG_0986.JPG
    IMG_0986.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 27
Anyone that says .380 is not an adequate defense round is simply uneducated. The end.
I guess shooting them in the elbow would work, too.

I still say that the 380 not adequate for SD with any other ammo than the one I mentioned in the OP. It is the only one that meets the FBI requirements. All others either do not expand properly or do not penetrate deeply enough.

I guess shooting them in the elbow would work, too.

I still say that the 380 not adequate for SD with any other ammo than the one I mentioned in the OP. It is the only one that meets the FBI requirements. All others either do not expand properly or do not penetrate deeply enough.

I don't know about that man. A .380 is more capable than you are giving it credit for, I believe. It is not the best option but plenty of .380 rounds will stop an attack or at least get a person to safety/out of the situation. That's the whole point of SD anyway. Getting away alive, not necessarily killing the bad guy. Although it can do that too.

I don't know about that man. A .380 is more capable than you are giving it credit for, I believe. It is not the best option but plenty of .380 rounds will stop an attack or at least get a person to safety/out of the situation. That's the whole point of SD anyway. Getting away alive, not necessarily killing the bad guy. Although it can do that too.
You've got it backwards, though you are right about the fact the the goal of SD is to stop the attack. The problem with handgun ammo is that, though most of it will kill an attacker, a lot won't do it fast enough to stop the attack effectively.

The problem with most 380 ammo is that it frequently won't actually penetrate enough to cause fatal injury, much less effectively stop the attack.

You've got it backwards, though you are right about the fact the the goal of SD is to stop the attack. The problem with handgun ammo is that, though most of it will kill an attacker, a lot won't do it fast enough to stop the attack effectively.

The problem with most 380 ammo is that it frequently won't actually penetrate enough to cause fatal injury, much less effectively stop the attack.

I agree completely that it is not an effective stopper, but most handgun rounds are not ideal for immediate stoppages. There are better options, of course. And no, I won't pull the overused cliche of "all about shot placement". LOL

Back
Top Bottom