• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advice on action to take after being threatened with a gun

You did right, activate 911 as soon as able, lock your doors, take a hasty fighting position in your home, if he breaks your door in, let him come to you, use the minimum force up to and including lethal force as Biker stated if you are truly in fear of life or serious injury.

A restraining order might be a consideration at least to define that he is unwelcomed at your door and if there and found by LEO they can arrest him for violation of the order.

The police are not personal security and can't be everywhere. Ultimately the responsibility of personal security cannot be delegated.

You can not do anything. If I were you try to resolve it calmly. I am saying that from my point of view, because if he did that again I would help his ass down the stairs,then it escalates and turns into slashed tires,keyed cars then a gunfight. Try to resolve then end the conversation with a nice if you do not like it, leave!

I think it retrospect calm would have been the way to go. So calm in fact that next time I won't bother opening the door. I see your point about property damage. Hopefully not something I have to deal with...

I'm surprised nobody mentioned to you to that maybe it might be better to control the behavior of your children instead of worrying about how to deal with him. When you chose to take an upstairs apartment, this should have been one of the first things you thought of. Downstairs tenants do not like kids thumping in the ceiling. It gets old.

Fix the problem at the root, don't just pluck the dead leaves. Also, treat others how you want to be treated.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned to you to that maybe it might be better to control the behavior of your children instead of worrying about how to deal with him. When you chose to take an upstairs apartment, this should have been one of the first things you thought of. Downstairs tenants do not like kids thumping in the ceiling. It gets old.

The kid upstairs from us in our old apartment learned to roller skate in the living room....****ing heathen child

I hope that there was at least some sort of incident report completed by the police. I hate to sound like a keyboard commando, but that guy would NOT get a second chance to threaten me with a gun at my own front door, especially if I had children with me. If you end up having to punch his card you'll be well served by a police report stating that he had previously threatened you with a firearm and HAD TAKEN AFFIRMATIVE STEPS towards carrying out that threat. I think if I were you I'd probably contact the agency that responded and politely ask to speak to a supervisor. Just as a follow up to make sure that they documented the incident.

In the interim, obviously you should avoid him if at all possible. I sure wouldn't want to be in your situation.

Remember: "I was in fear for my life and the lives of my children. He had threatened us previously with a gun and this time he left me no choice but to act in self defense. I want to cooperate with your investigation but I don't wish to make any further statements at this time until I've consulted with an attorney."

I will be following up with the police. I'll also talk to the apartment management office and see what they can do. I have a permit and I carry everywhere I can; and have avoided places where I cannot. I am oddly calm about the situation. Thanks for the advice.

It's no different than people with dogs. In fact dogs are probably worse. I have a 3 year old and we have lived in non-first-floor apartments his whole life without a single problem with any neighbors. Hell they barely weigh 30 lbs so how much noise do you think they really make? OP's neighbor is a douche bag.

It's no different than people with dogs. In fact dogs are probably worse. I have a 3 year old and we have lived in non-first-floor apartments his whole life without a single problem with any neighbors. Hell they barely weigh 30 lbs so how much noise do you think they really make? OP's neighbor is a douche bag.

So what you are implying is that because your kid isn't obnoxious, that everyone else's is also?

Treat others how you want to be treated.

It's a reasonable take on the matter. I've been here for 4 years and never had a noise complaint. Unfortunately we live in a place with thin construction. I absolutely think that it is reasonable to treat other like you want to be treated. On the flip side I was with the kids when he started indicating we were making too much noise. It wasn't in my opinion and I probably would have been more reasonable if he wasn't belligerent and dis-respectful from the beginning.

It's a reasonable take on the matter. I've been here for 4 years and never had a noise complaint. Unfortunately we live in a place with thin construction. I absolutely think that it is reasonable to treat other like you want to be treated. On the flip side I was with the kids when he started indicating we were making too much noise. It wasn't in my opinion and I probably would have been more reasonable if he wasn't belligerent and dis-respectful from the beginning.

There are 3 sides to every story... GLWS

Back
Top Bottom