• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Advice on action to take after being threatened with a gun

What you need to get instead of another gun is a midget. When you answer the door and he is yelling at you the midget can hit him in the nuts. Then after we all can come over and have a midget toss

I hope that there was at least some sort of incident report completed by the police. I hate to sound like a keyboard commando, but that guy would NOT get a second chance to threaten me with a gun at my own front door, especially if I had children with me. If you end up having to punch his card you'll be well served by a police report stating that he had previously threatened you with a firearm and HAD TAKEN AFFIRMATIVE STEPS towards carrying out that threat. I think if I were you I'd probably contact the agency that responded and politely ask to speak to a supervisor. Just as a follow up to make sure that they documented the incident.

In the interim, obviously you should avoid him if at all possible. I sure wouldn't want to be in your situation.

Remember: "I was in fear for my life and the lives of my children. He had threatened us previously with a gun and this time he left me no choice but to act in self defense. I want to cooperate with your investigation but I don't wish to make any further statements at this time until I've consulted with an attorney."
Amen

Situations like these ( we call them "freebies"...) are good opportunities to review what you did right & wrong, what you would do different, what steps need to be taken to prevent escalation, what documentation you have with the police or would like to have in case the other party escalates, & what are your plans/ options to deal with anything from another passive-aggressive encounter all the way to a surprise armed ambush at close range. Many armed encounters happen at very close ranges where there is a huge difference between shooting a gun vs. fighting with one at arms length in a surprise attack.

I would also highly recommend reading up on the laws on the use of deadly force beforehand. It would be better than learning them in court or from behind bars.

Sucks to have A-Hole neighbors (been there..). The apartment management is responsible to make sure you live in a safe environment. Make sure they have a complaint in writing about your neighbor threatening you with a gun.

FYI - If the idiot does have a Georgia Firearms License, he is pretty darned ignorant about the laws of the state. You can not feel "threatened" and announce that you are going to go get your gun and then voluntarily return to the place where you felt threatened. That pretty much negates the Self Defense argument.

Back
Top Bottom