• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Aggressive Dog on Property

There is a neighbors dog that comes on our property growling and acting aggressive but doesn’t attack. It has approached me barking in my yard. Do I have the right to “eliminate” the dog on my property if it is barking and growling but doesn’t attack. I don’t want to wait till it bites one of my kids, thanks.
I have had similar concurs. If caught in the act of killing your live stock or biting someone on your property, then I would say yes he's fair game. It's a stressful pain in the ass to deal with folks who don't care for their animals or restrain them. I would call your county animal control first, possible the police or Sherriff. Get it on reports.
The better man in me says, don't punish the animal for the ignorance of the owner. If the county grabs the dog it will probably be put down if it shows any aggression.
To your point, I'm always armed when walking about on my property.

I had the same issue on more than one occasion. I had Chris with Houston fence come out and install a six foot chainlink around our property. Best $$$ I've ever spent! No more neighbors dogs, the cops can't walk up to the door without a warrant or emergency call, no salesman, no JW's, and no one taking donations 🎯

I had the same issue on more than one occasion. I had Chris with Houston fence come out and install a six foot chainlink around our property. Best $$$ I've ever spent! No more neighbors dogs, the cops can't walk up to the door without a warrant or emergency call, no salesman, no JW's, and no one taking donations 🎯
We just don't answer the door, it doesn't cost anything......Course we don't have many calling either.....

I live in the country and I observe how dogs act when they I see them come on the property. Most of them are doing some regular goofy dog business and I barely pay attention. Every once in a while, I see some feral or semi-feral behavior. A few times one came over acting aggressive toward me and I made a mental note. About the third time that happened, I drew a pistol to shoot it and it turned and bolted in the blink of an eye. I haven't seen that dog in over a year and I assume one of the other neighbors shot it.

For me, it all boils down to sh!tty pet owners, I have zero patience with people that "own" but don't train their dogs. I have just as much problem with people that have dogs and leave them chained up or stuck in a 6x8 fenced in area as I do with people that let them run free. We just had to get a ligament re-attached on our large dog, she can't use the back yard for the time being (due to the steps off of the deck) so we have to let them out in the front yard. The boxer will run all over the yard while we walk the larger dog with a sling under her. If someone approaches they both start to growl or bark (as I would want them to), all I have to do is say NO! and GO INSIDE! and both dogs go towards the door and wait to be let in. What I'm getting at is this, IMHO, most bad dogs are the result of bad owners. I realize that their are occasions where a dog must be put down for the safety of a person but in those cases, if it is in fact a pet, the owner is the one that should have to suffer!

I had a dog attack me and my little dog last week in the subdivision, I live in. We had never had a problem with this dog, but now that there another dog in his family the dog has turned aggressive to everyone who walks by, I spoke to the owner and told him what happened his son came outside and told his father that there dog had attacked me, he was shocked, I told him I have no problem with you or your dog but if your dog goes after my dog, I will protect my dog. He apologized and his dog now stays in the fenced in yard.

Our GSD would never do such a thing. Often times that's a sign of a bad dog owner, and there are lot's of those...
There’s also such thing as the wrong move at the wrong time.
Remember that reporter who stuck his face right in the GSD police dogs face? If not, they had to cut to commercial pretty quickly. When they returned, he had bandages on his chin and more on his forehead. Good wingspan on that pup.

I seriously doubt that dog would’ve done the same to a kid but GSD’s are smart. Probably a lefty reporter.

YouTube has the video

Back
Top Bottom