• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AITA for not training folks for free?

I made a comment a while back, stating that I don't train folks for free, and that I guess I'm an ass for stating so. Apparently, it pissed at least a few folks off.

It COSTS me money to train someone. Costs me money just to take a friend to the range to plink around. Costs me money to take myself to range and just train MYSELF, all by my lonesome.

As a professional Instructor with an LLC, I maintain over $3 million in professional liability insurance, which I pay a yearly fee for. Goes everywhere I go.

I train on a piece of private property that isn't open to the public. I pay to use that.

My paper/cardboard/steel/moving targets, 1x2's, spray paint, batteries, timers, and target frames are all paid for by me. They get shot up/wore out/used up, they have to be replaced. Fuel to get to the range and back, and whatever ammo I shoot while demonstrating.

By far, the biggest expense to me is the time that I expend. Now that I'm "retired", I have 4 jobs. I'm at my full-time job 5 days a week. I try and take care of what I need to do for my other 3 jobs on the 2 days that I am "off".

My go-to plan for my 2 days off per week is to spend as much of that time as possible with my family. If I'm going to do anything for anyone for free on those 2 days, it will be my family, not a stranger I met on the internet. Folks that want me to take time away from my family will have to pay for that time. To do otherwise would mean that I value time spent with strangers as much as the time I spend with my family. Not even close.

I never ask anyone to do anything with compensation. To do otherwise means that I do not value their time, which is an insult.

Semper Fi!
You get called out on here or some other hate thread?

It's a shame. I remember the days of knocking on doors and asking farmers if we could shoot the dove in their fields. I wouldn't even waste my time asking nowadays, and I understand their concern.

Lawyers have mucked it all up, in part.

Even having someone sign a release or waiver doesn't mean that you can't get sued. A properly worded release/waiver will lessen your liability, but no piece of paper is a guarantee that you won't get sued.

Even my $3 million insurance policy won't do squat if the insurance company's investigators decide that I was negligent. They'll decide not to cover me, and now I'm footing the bill, whether it's medical, legal, or both.

A waiver isn't worth the paper it is printed on. After numerous convos with an attorney, I don't even bother with them.

Other things I learned from the atty...

If someone gets hurt, there is your proof of negligence.

They may be your friend, and would never sue you, but their surviving spouse and kids sure as hell will. Also, their insurance company has the right to go after you to recoup their expenses, without your permission. Even an broken bone can run up a $10k bill in short order. And if they need surgery or time in the hospital... easily $50k

This is why we can't have nice things.

and you are NTA in this case.

Definitely NTA

People ask me wine questions all the time. I’ll give them an honest answer or recommendation (the answer is usually Oregon Pinot or Sancerre, BTW).

If they want me to teach them to make drinks or do a wine class, 💵 💵 💵 💵 . This is my job, and I spent a lot of time and money to get this far.

Can I come practice felling trees at one of your houses? Now, that’s something I’ve always wanted to do but nobody with trees in their yard is willing to let me practice on them. It’s total BS how selfish some of you have become.

Back when the wife and I didn’t have a lot of money, I would get a moderately priced gun for Christmas. I’d pick it out, she’d get it from my buddy who has an FFL and would sell it to her at cost, and she’d wrap it for Christmas.

One Christmas, I told her I wanted a chainsaw instead of a gun.

Her: “You don’t cut down trees.”

Me: “That’s because I don’t have a chainsaw.”

Her: “That’s what I’m afraid of.”

Back when the wife and I didn’t have a lot of money, I would get a moderately priced gun for Christmas. I’d pick it out, she’d get it from my buddy who has an FFL and would sell it to her at cost, and she’d wrap it for Christmas.

One Christmas, I told her I wanted a chainsaw instead of a gun.

Her: “You don’t cut down trees.”

Me: “That’s because I don’t have a chainsaw.”

Her: “That’s what I’m afraid of.”

I have a very similar story except mine ends with my wife getting a chainsaw for Christmas and I still got a gun.

One year, she got a really nice trolling motor. She’s a strange one… doesn’t even have a boat.

I made a comment a while back, stating that I don't train folks for free, and that I guess I'm an ass for stating so. Apparently, it pissed at least a few folks off.

It COSTS me money to train someone. Costs me money just to take a friend to the range to plink around. Costs me money to take myself to range and just train MYSELF, all by my lonesome.

As a professional Instructor with an LLC, I maintain over $3 million in professional liability insurance, which I pay a yearly fee for. Goes everywhere I go.

I train on a piece of private property that isn't open to the public. I pay to use that.

My paper/cardboard/steel/moving targets, 1x2's, spray paint, batteries, timers, and target frames are all paid for by me. They get shot up/wore out/used up, they have to be replaced. Fuel to get to the range and back, and whatever ammo I shoot while demonstrating.

By far, the biggest expense to me is the time that I expend. Now that I'm "retired", I have 4 jobs. I'm at my full-time job 5 days a week. I try and take care of what I need to do for my other 3 jobs on the 2 days that I am "off".

My go-to plan for my 2 days off per week is to spend as much of that time as possible with my family. If I'm going to do anything for anyone for free on those 2 days, it will be my family, not a stranger I met on the internet. Folks that want me to take time away from my family will have to pay for that time. To do otherwise would mean that I value time spent with strangers as much as the time I spend with my family. Not even close.

I never ask anyone to do anything with compensation. To do otherwise means that I do not value their time, which is an insult.

Semper Fi!

Absolutely frickin agree. People have a bad mentality of thinking they deserve something free because they “know you”.

They gladly shell out for a new gun, new vehicle, eating out, new shoes, etc. They’ll go pay a range to shoot hundreds in ammo, out of their numerous firearms… but God forbid they pay for training that better equips them for a deadly encounter.

Those types of people don’t value your skill set or your time. That’s why they think it should be free. Actual friends support each others businesses and don’t ask for discounts.

When I stated that I don't train folks for free, I got called:

-someone who has never seen combat (damn, gotta call Kansas City and tell the USMC to take back that Combat Action Ribbon)
-a KKK member
-a racist
- an anti-Semite
-"washed up marine with no skills"..........OK, I am a bit washed up, I can't do some of the stuff now that I could do when I was in the Corps.........

And that was just by 1 member! LOL

Oh brother, I wish I had seen that post. You know I’ve got your back. Rah!!

Oh brother, I wish I had seen that post. You know I’ve got your back. Rah!!

It was one of the most disjointed, incorrect rants I’ve ever seen. I still think he’s got me confused with someone else.

I asked him to show me the posts that show me to be a KKK member/racist/anti-Semite, but there’s been no reply for several weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom