• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AITA for not training folks for free?

Funny. I didn't have you marked as one of the Juden Hassers here.

Because I am NOT. First went to Israel while I was in the Corps, and been back several times while I was a FAM. Still one of my favorite places I’ve been, and love the folks. After my first visit, over 30 years ago, I decided that if I ever have to leave the US for another country, Israel is where I’m going. In the past 30+ years, most of that time spent as an Air Marshal traveling the world, I haven’t changed mind.

I’ve got friends and co-workers who are Jewish. I’ve been invited to attend Jewish services in a synagogue.

I am bewildered as to where this dip**** got that idea.

I made a comment a while back, stating that I don't train folks for free, and that I guess I'm an ass for stating so. Apparently, it pissed at least a few folks off.

It COSTS me money to train someone. Costs me money just to take a friend to the range to plink around. Costs me money to take myself to range and just train MYSELF, all by my lonesome.

As a professional Instructor with an LLC, I maintain over $3 million in professional liability insurance, which I pay a yearly fee for. Goes everywhere I go.

I train on a piece of private property that isn't open to the public. I pay to use that.

My paper/cardboard/steel/moving targets, 1x2's, spray paint, batteries, timers, and target frames are all paid for by me. They get shot up/wore out/used up, they have to be replaced. Fuel to get to the range and back, and whatever ammo I shoot while demonstrating.

By far, the biggest expense to me is the time that I expend. Now that I'm "retired", I have 4 jobs. I'm at my full-time job 5 days a week. I try and take care of what I need to do for my other 3 jobs on the 2 days that I am "off".

My go-to plan for my 2 days off per week is to spend as much of that time as possible with my family. If I'm going to do anything for anyone for free on those 2 days, it will be my family, not a stranger I met on the internet. Folks that want me to take time away from my family will have to pay for that time. To do otherwise would mean that I value time spent with strangers as much as the time I spend with my family. Not even close.

I never ask anyone to do anything with compensation. To do otherwise means that I do not value their time, which is an insult.

Semper Fi!
Amen brother.

Because I am NOT. First went to Israel while I was in the Corps, and been back several times while I was a FAM. Still one of my favorite places I’ve been, and love the folks. After my first visit, over 30 years ago, I decided that if I ever have to leave the US for another country, Israel is where I’m going. In the past 30+ years, most of that time spent as an Air Marshal traveling the world, I haven’t changed mind.

I’ve got friends and co-workers who are Jewish. I’ve been invited to attend Jewish services in a synagogue.

I am bewildered as to where this dip**** got that idea.
When will you start you 2024 training classes?

A waiver isn't worth the paper it is printed on. After numerous convos with an attorney, I don't even bother with them.
The Georgia Court of Appeals disagrees with that attorney you talked to.

QUOTE from recent case that summarizes the state of liability waiver agreements in GA, and then goes deep into the facts ultimately finding that some provisions applied, and others did not, to this rather oddball case. THE CASE:

HI TECHNOLOGY CORP v. QUALITY INVESTMENT PROPERTIES SUWANEE LLC (2023)​

Court of Appeals of Georgia.​

A23A0808, A23A0809​

Decided: November 03, 2023​

THE QUOTE:
" Under Georgia law, “the freedom of contract is sacrosanct” and “should not be limited absent some important public policy reason.”6 Thus, “[a]bsent a public policy interest, contracting parties are free to contract to waive numerous and substantial rights, including the right to seek recourse in the event of breach by the other party.”7 We have routinely concluded that “[e]xculpatory clauses in Georgia are valid and binding, and are not void as against public policy when a business relieves itself from its own negligence.”8 But, as discussed in more detail later in this opinion, we have also stated, in cases involving tort claims, that “exculpatory clauses do not relieve a party from liability for acts of gross negligence or wilful or wanton conduct.”9

------------------------------------
THE FOOTNOTES / CITATIONS

6.  PNC Bank, Nat. Assn. v. Smith,
298 Ga. 818, 822 (3) (a) (785 SE2d 505) (2016).

7.  (Citation omitted.) Flanigan v. Exec. Office Centers, Inc., 249 Ga. App. 14, 15 (1) (546 SE2d 559) (2001).

8.  My Fair Lady v. Harris, 185 Ga. App. 459, 460 (364 SE2d 580) (1987).

9.  (Footnotes omitted.) Colonial Properties Realty v. Lowder Constr. Co., 256 Ga. App. 106, 112 (5) (567 SE2d 389) (2002).

Reading this I see nothing wrong. But I do have a question. Unless I, as a working 20-something get a lucky, sudden windfall like a lottery win or inheritance or whatever, if we're being realistic, there's virtually no chance I'm owning land right now. Everything costs something, and as cmshoot said, time is the most valuable thing. Got other **** to do outside of training. That said, I'd still like to train when I can. In more ways than just going to the range, or going to the gym. Those things independently are great. But it's also very, very valuable to put yourself "in the field," so to speak, and ruck around, approach target positions and train your shooting fundamentals from a position as if you were in a combat zone or whatever. If we wanna save time, we can just call it LARPing lol. So, aside from just already knowing someone with land who is willing to allow that sort of training, what can someone like me, or someone in my position do to prove that we are trustworthy to perform that kind of training on someone else's property? Unsupervised or even alongside the owner if they feel like attending and taking part (training with people is always welcome.) Because on one hand, yes, you should do as you please with your land. On another hand, I think in the current world climate, it's valuable to have people who are training in these disciplines as much as possible. Again, that's not to say you owe anyone else the land, but it'd be nice to build a community of people who are capable of respecting another's property while being allowed to use it. Because not everything is about business, and one day our dollar will likely amount to nothing, but training and being an appropriately prepared and skilled citizen amounts to a whoooooooole lot. Oh and as a barrier against sue-happy morons out there, I would even encourage a landowner to draw up a detailed release of liability form and review it with anyone they deem worthy of using their property, just as a little extra security.

Anyway sorry for the essay. This is something I'd like to see seriously discussed a little more. I think it'd be okay to allow others on someone's property with appropriate vetting and precautions, and a system of building trust, and ultimately understanding that the property owner has the final say when all is said and done.
You can LARP around on any National Forrest - It's called camping. You can Ruck anytime you want, day or night, and spend time in the field. You can do daytime maneuvers and night time maneuvers - there's no curfew. The only thing that would be frowned upon is live firing - and maybe digging foxholes.

Attend an Appleseed event for some live fire marksmanship training with a rifle. Go to local gun clubs and compete; my club allows "tactical" shoots for $20 per event. Dry fire in your back yard.

Lots of opportunities to train if you think outside the box.

Reading this I see nothing wrong. But I do have a question. Unless I, as a working 20-something get a lucky, sudden windfall like a lottery win or inheritance or whatever, if we're being realistic, there's virtually no chance I'm owning land right now. Everything costs something, and as cmshoot said, time is the most valuable thing. Got other **** to do outside of training. That said, I'd still like to train when I can. In more ways than just going to the range, or going to the gym. Those things independently are great. But it's also very, very valuable to put yourself "in the field," so to speak, and ruck around, approach target positions and train your shooting fundamentals from a position as if you were in a combat zone or whatever. If we wanna save time, we can just call it LARPing lol. So, aside from just already knowing someone with land who is willing to allow that sort of training, what can someone like me, or someone in my position do to prove that we are trustworthy to perform that kind of training on someone else's property? Unsupervised or even alongside the owner if they feel like attending and taking part (training with people is always welcome.) Because on one hand, yes, you should do as you please with your land. On another hand, I think in the current world climate, it's valuable to have people who are training in these disciplines as much as possible. Again, that's not to say you owe anyone else the land, but it'd be nice to build a community of people who are capable of respecting another's property while being allowed to use it. Because not everything is about business, and one day our dollar will likely amount to nothing, but training and being an appropriately prepared and skilled citizen amounts to a whoooooooole lot. Oh and as a barrier against sue-happy morons out there, I would even encourage a landowner to draw up a detailed release of liability form and review it with anyone they deem worthy of using their property, just as a little extra security.

Anyway sorry for the essay. This is something I'd like to see seriously discussed a little more. I think it'd be okay to allow others on someone's property with appropriate vetting and precautions, and a system of building trust, and ultimately understanding that the property owner has the final say when all is said and done.
That's a really long way of saying you want to lease land for free.

You can LARP around on any National Forrest - It's called camping. You can Ruck anytime you want, day or night, and spend time in the field. You can do daytime maneuvers and night time maneuvers - there's no curfew. The only thing that would be frowned upon is live firing - and maybe digging foxholes.

Attend an Appleseed event for some live fire marksmanship training with a rifle. Go to local gun clubs and compete; my club allows "tactical" shoots for $20 per event. Dry fire in your back yard.

Lots of opportunities to train if you think outside the box.
Thank you, some things here I hadn't known.

That's a really long way of saying you want to lease land for free.
And that's a really passive-aggressive way of saying nothing useful at all. Of course I want to lease land for free, I'm sure most people would enjoy the benefits of doing so. Don't be someone who's allergic to discussions because you disagree with the intent behind them.

Back
Top Bottom