• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AITA for not training folks for free?

Thank you, some things here I hadn't known.

And that's a really passive-aggressive way of saying nothing useful at all. Of course I want to lease land for free, I'm sure most people would enjoy the benefits of doing so. Don't be someone who's allergic to discussions because you disagree with the intent behind them.

Ok comrade, good luck with your free land lease. I would suggest taking advantage of public land though. Nobody in their right mind is going to let strangers larp on their land without a contract and financial agreement.

Ok comrade, good luck with your free land lease. I would suggest taking advantage of public land though. Nobody in their right mind is going to let strangers larp on their land without a contract and financial agreement.
Yeah, we already discussed this earlier in this exact thread. There's a fair difference between desire and reality. Wanting to have the benefits of free land doesn't mean I have the expectation that that's what's owed to me. I'd gladly pay or do work in exchange for the rights to use some land, when it suits me. When you don't have money or too much time to spare, you look for the cheapest or free options first.

LARP -- LARPing---
I had to look that up.

In case I'm not the only one:

"Live Action Role Play"

There was a member of the NFAC in Dekalb that had land he used to allow folks to run around on LARPing.
I had a friend that did it on his farm. Back when the GA 3% thing was going on. Absolute complete **** show. Luckily he ran them all off before someone got killed.

It started off with well meaning folks, just wanting somewhere to train and they did help out around the farm. But it quickly grew out of control and became a total mess where he had people he didn't know just walking around his woods at any given time. People taking advantage of him and the land.

This kind of thing simply does not work with strangers. Gotta have a contract and everyone involved needs to have financial skin in the game.

I had a friend that did it on his farm. Back when the GA 3% thing was going on. Absolute complete **** show. Luckily he ran them all off before someone got killed.

It started off with well meaning folks, just wanting somewhere to train and they did help out around the farm. But it quickly grew out of control and became a total mess where he had people he didn't know just walking around his woods at any given time. People taking advantage of him and the land.

This kind of thing simply does not work with strangers. Gotta have a contract and everyone involved needs to have financial skin in the game.
Agreed. It's been decades since I could just walk up to a farm house and knock on the door and ask to shoot dove.

No way anyone in their right mind would allow random LARPers to "train" on their land without conditions.

Precisely, there must always be contractual conditions and agreed-upon terms. The problem being, as we discussed earlier in the thread, is there are too many people looking to take advantage of the legal system for personal gain. To the point that pretty much no one wants to risk it. For that, I don't blame them.

I made a comment a while back, stating that I don't train folks for free, and that I guess I'm an ass for stating so. Apparently, it pissed at least a few folks off.

It COSTS me money to train someone. Costs me money just to take a friend to the range to plink around. Costs me money to take myself to range and just train MYSELF, all by my lonesome.

As a professional Instructor with an LLC, I maintain over $3 million in professional liability insurance, which I pay a yearly fee for. Goes everywhere I go.

I train on a piece of private property that isn't open to the public. I pay to use that.

My paper/cardboard/steel/moving targets, 1x2's, spray paint, batteries, timers, and target frames are all paid for by me. They get shot up/wore out/used up, they have to be replaced. Fuel to get to the range and back, and whatever ammo I shoot while demonstrating.

By far, the biggest expense to me is the time that I expend. Now that I'm "retired", I have 4 jobs. I'm at my full-time job 5 days a week. I try and take care of what I need to do for my other 3 jobs on the 2 days that I am "off".

My go-to plan for my 2 days off per week is to spend as much of that time as possible with my family. If I'm going to do anything for anyone for free on those 2 days, it will be my family, not a stranger I met on the internet. Folks that want me to take time away from my family will have to pay for that time. To do otherwise would mean that I value time spent with strangers as much as the time I spend with my family. Not even close.

I never ask anyone to do anything with compensation. To do otherwise means that I do not value their time, which is an insult.

Semper Fi!
If someone wants free training then they need to " Phone a Friend ". It took instruction for me to develope proper muzzle awareness and I am still afraid to hunt beside someone. I have seen first hand the potential for no instruction on a cold range and a newbie just bought a handgun and opened up full semi auto on a cold range. Also the kind of training you give is more in depth and takes your time and visual aids that aren't free. I wouldn't listen to those few that want a free ride. I would dare to presume to know how to train a class of people. My kids yeah cause I can rebuke them in the field from " behind mind you " but that is just repeating the same rule over and over and over. Big difference there. Just to join Riverbend Gun Club we ha to sit through and be tested in a two hour course in gun safety and club rules. Ain't nothing for free except posting on here and that ain't proper firearms training! PERIOD!

Back
Top Bottom