• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

An AR15 is an AR15 is an AR15 .................................

You don't have to go after it like you busting a leaf spring apart. It doesn't take a sledge hammer. It's a punch with a couple of taps will move the backing plate material into the castle nut indentations. Anyone standing on the gun like they are driving in a rail road spike is overkill. You are keeping the castle nut from moving not trying to weld it to the buffer tube. Jez guys you are something else. If you aren't careful the punch will slip and you will have a big scratch all the way down your buffer tube. Staking at gas key and castle nut is two very different. I use a small ballpeen hammer and small punch. There are no clockwise and counter clockwise forces on this part. It's forward rearward forces. The retaining plate is not moving anywhere. Just a small amount of material moved into the cutout of the castle nut will keep it from turning. It takes just a simple tap to produce this. Just because you saw someone on the internet use a 20 inch titanium punch with a sledge hammer doesn't make it right. " Of course everything we see on the internet it gospel". It's not a brute force job. For Christ sake it doesn't take that much force. I say delicate because you need to use some restraint during this process or you punch will move and mar the buffer tube if you hit it to hard. Just a simple tap to move a little material into the recess and it's done. That's all that is needed. It helps is you actually have tools and know how to use them. Not everything requires a BFH.

I’ve seen much better staking jobs than that. Probably used something similar to what SOLGW uses, which ground into a chisel shape.

Right, I'm absolutely no staking expert, but typically the impact point is a circle that pushes the material. I've built a couple lowers and I did better than that. It was my first Colt (6920). It shoots fine but also has the most marred up finish I've ever seen. So in the AR world, yeah, you get what you pay for, sort of.

You don't have to go after it like you busting a leaf spring apart. It doesn't take a sledge hammer. It's a punch with a couple of taps will move the backing plate material into the castle nut indentations. Anyone standing on the gun like they are driving in a rail road spike is overkill. You are keeping the castle nut from moving not trying to weld it to the buffer tube. Jez guys you are something else. If you aren't careful the punch will slip and you will have a big scratch all the way down your buffer tube. Staking at gas key and castle nut is two very different. I use a small ballpeen hammer and small punch. There are no clockwise and counter clockwise forces on this part. It's forward rearward forces. The retaining plate is not moving anywhere. Just a small amount of material moved into the cutout of the castle nut will keep it from turning. It takes just a simple tap to produce this. Just because you saw someone on the internet use a 20 inch titanium punch with a sledge hammer doesn't make it right. " Of course everything we see on the internet it gospel". It's not a brute force job. For Christ sake it doesn't take that much force. I say delicate because you need to use some restraint during this process or you punch will move and mar the buffer tube if you hit it to hard. Just a simple tap to move a little material into the recess and it's done. That's all that is needed. It helps is you actually have tools and know how to use them. Not everything requires a BFH.

That “someone on the internet” is the owner of SOLGW. Sometimes folks on the internet are the actual real deal gurus and know what they talking about.

This was a factory built Anderson, looks like they go the delicate route.
FB_IMG_1516913581527.jpg

Back
Top Bottom