• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another example of insufficient safety training by a CCW holder

Ah good catch.

Shooting with a canted hand is more natural though, regardless of the stereotypes. Put your arm straight out in from of you as you sit at your computer dest. It naturally cants.

Mine don't? Must be from so many years of swinging a hammer.

Mine don't? Must be from so many years of swinging a hammer.
Well, maybe, but most folk's hands cant in at the top, as if you were gripping a steering wheel. At least in their most natural and comfortable position.

Well, maybe, but most folk's hands cant in at the top, as if you were gripping a steering wheel. At least in their most natural and comfortable position.
I agree, I was taught if your shooting one handed you can't your hand slightly. It's more natural as you said. But in the end as always it's better to do as your comfortable with.

Are you seriously saying that just because this AD discharge wan't prevented, that training could in no way prevent another, or make a shooter safer. I have never attended a formal firearms safety training class, but it was beaten into my head by my father. Those obtaining a ccw, without the benefit of parental guidance, could greatly benefit. It is impossible to quantify, as humans are not very good at keeping statistics on events that didn't happen.

HGUNHNTR ,

I like you, but please read what RamRoddoc actually wrote :

" No amount of training will compensate for stupidity. "

You need new glasses. I was there. She had lenses on all day. The first command when ever on his range is "Eyes and ears!"
I'll take your word for it, then. According to what I see, she doesn't...but if you were there, I'll concede that this picture isn't very helpful. Especially if the lenses were clear as was already stated.

HGUNHNTR ,

I like you, but please read what RamRoddoc actually wrote :

" No amount of training will compensate for stupidity. "

All he is saying is not to discount training based on one incident, surely this will happen no matter what training occurs, but if more people trained it could prevent some accidents. HGUNNHNTR writes with alot of "enthusiasm" and surely doesn't disagree that accidents/stupidity will occur, but he likely doesn't want people to shrug off the benefits of training because one incident.

It would be like saying because one person died wearing a seatbelt, one should not discount seatbelts all together

A slight cant can be effective...you're absolutely right, but only if the weak side hand is utilized in support, as you said, creating isometric or dynamic tension. 0915 single handed and held high is stupid...and if that guy went on his own, so be it...but then why use it as your splash page graphic? And as to the eye protection, I wasn't talking about Vanilla Ice. I have prescription lenses that are ANSI Z87.1 certified as well so I get that...I'm talking about the lady at the back of the stack...if she has on safety glasses, I need new glasses.

I was partly ribbing you, but also part of it is a legitimate complaint. The majority of your posts are centered on the idea that the unwashed masses need training and it comes across as a little preachy...so forgive us if every now and then we get riled up because the insurance man demands we need insurance. ;)

Pic's & video's are the greatest weakness of our website right now. I don't have the abillity to take pics & watch out for everyones safety. That pic was the ending of a 16 hr. class & we, as a bonus , were just introducing some of the drills conducted in the Intermediate class.
Regardless of how many times you tell people to keep the muzzle pointed downrange there is always that person who has a stoppage or loses focus & starts to swing it toward the firing line so we try to remain as vigilant as humanly possible. We do not exceed 4 students per Instructor & prefer even lower ratios to insure safety.
No one wants to pay to be shot or be "allowed" to shoot themselves... and now, as if that's not enough to worry about,there are these crazy people that want to come out to your range & kill themselves on it.

I do not mean to come across as "preachy". I try to temper certain statements by repeatedly alluding to the fact that safety is not necessarily about going to my school or any school for that matter. But it is important to constantly "update" your "status" by self-analyzing yourself for areas of improvement.
Most Instructors that I know try to take one to two classes per year outside their "group" to not stagnate. Myself & some of my guys are heading to Bill Rogers in May for that very purpose. Instructors, sure we are... but the very best Instructors that I know are also serious students and we are the same in that there is always more to learn.

My sense of urgency comes from the sheer volume of stupidity I see on a regular basis, at the gunstores & other places that I frequent on a regular basis, from self-proclaimed experts who are stating things authoritatively to other uninformed but willing listeners that could get them in trouble with the law if not killed such as," You just take this 12 gauge & shoot right through the door if you hear a bad guy." or "Make sure if you shoot somebody outside your door to drag them in" or "Just shoot'em in the leg or fire off some warning shots if you don't want to kill'em.
I could go on & on as I'm sure many of you on here could as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom