• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another example of insufficient safety training by a CCW holder

I spent 50 days (1 day a week except for when we were on vacation) tutoring for the literacy voluteers of Atlanta (LVA)if you must know. Instead of just giving money that might go who knows where, I gave time. That time I could put directly into helping a 44 year old unemployed guy put together a resume and get qualified to re-enter the workforce. Thanks for asking.

Criminy!

You are a PISTOL !

I am an ex-Professor that would have enjoyed teaching, except that if you were not a leftie, commie, "don't go to the next foul description, lest I be banned forever.

Pic's & video's are the greatest weakness of our website right now. I don't have the abillity to take pics & watch out for everyones safety. That pic was the ending of a 16 hr. class & we, as a bonus , were just introducing some of the drills conducted in the Intermediate class.
Regardless of how many times you tell people to keep the muzzle pointed downrange there is always that person who has a stoppage or loses focus & starts to swing it toward the firing line so we try to remain as vigilant as humanly possible. We do not exceed 4 students per Instructor & prefer even lower ratios to insure safety.
No one wants to pay to be shot or be "allowed" to shoot themselves... and now, as if that's not enough to worry about,there are these crazy people that want to come out to your range & kill themselves on it.

I do not mean to come across as "preachy". I try to temper certain statements by repeatedly alluding to the fact that safety is not necessarily about going to my school or any school for that matter. But it is important to constantly "update" your "status" by self-analyzing yourself for areas of improvement.
Most Instructors that I know try to take one to two classes per year outside their "group" to not stagnate. Myself & some of my guys are heading to Bill Rogers in May for that very purpose. Instructors, sure we are... but the very best Instructors that I know are also serious students and we are the same in that there is always more to learn.

My sense of urgency comes from the sheer volume of stupidity I see on a regular basis, at the gunstores & other places that I frequent on a regular basis, from self-proclaimed experts who are stating things authoritatively to other uninformed but willing listeners that could get them in trouble with the law if not killed such as," You just take this 12 gauge & shoot right through the door if you hear a bad guy." or "Make sure if you shoot somebody outside your door to drag them in" or "Just shoot'em in the leg or fire off some warning shots if you don't want to kill'em.
I could go on & on as I'm sure many of you on here could as well.

I'm not sure of your past credentials, but I expect experts in their respective fields to be a little preachy in their tone as they are much more well versed in their area than many others. I don't want my instructor saying ".well I guess" "Hey do what you want", my teachers with PHD's dont say "well I guess research shows this, but you know interpret it as backwards as you like.

Criminy!

You are a PISTOL !

I am an ex-Professor that would have enjoyed teaching, except that if you were not a leftie, commie, "don't go to the next foul description, lest I be banned forever.

You should check it out kimchee, they need tutors. Maybe you could secretly introduce some right wing big government propoganda into your tutee's lessons. :D JK

any one with this many post should be a supporter of the odt as well

I am not certain here, but even non contributers actually contribute, as they are offereed advertisements from major companies.

If I were a Major "GUN~STUFF" company, this is the exact site I would advertise on.

I'm not sure of your past credentials, but I expect experts in their respective fields to be a little preachy in their tone as they are much more well versed in their area than many others. I don't want my instructor saying ".well I guess" "Hey do what you want", my teachers with PHD's dont say "well I guess research shows this, but you know interpret it as backwards as you like.

Good point. One of my best assistants is a fairly young, very humble & very knowledgeable fellow who has a terrific manner w/ students.
Most younger guys at his proficiency level have an ego-driven need to validate themselves to others in this arena.
Instead he'll sit back a little & when he sees someone struggling or doing something incorrectly, he'll wait for them to finish & say,"Why don't you try it this way" or "See if this works for you" or something similar.
Always constructive & never critical.
He's going to be great teacher, already is really.

I didn't read all 11 pages of this thread BUT why on earth we they doing a transaction in a "closet" at the church. There were at least 3 people in there according to reports. The gun owner, the girl and her boyfriend. It was probably pretty cramped and dark. From the 2 reports I read it didn't say who was holding the gun the owner or the boyfriend who was wanting to purchase it.

Back
Top Bottom