• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

answer me this question! why the heck are you all so concerned about round count.

piratebob64

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
70   0
Reaction score
All I see in adds posted on ODT is such an such gun and it has a low round count. You know with today's non- corosive powders and better bullets unless it was a MACHINE GUN barrel I don't care what the round count is. Average shooters only put a couple hundred rounds thru a gun in lifetime (there are those who shoot more) but as long as you ran a dry patch thru it then a oil patch I am good. I guess I just do not understand this fixation with round count, heck I just bought a looks like crap savage 110 270 at a pawn shop for 260.00 ran a patch with solvent only thru it till it came clean. That was 10 patches then an oil patch guess what the rifling looks "brand new", do I know the round count , nope. Do I care nope, Did that stop me from me buying a good deal nope, and that gun should be a shooter as most savage 110 are. I am just saying you guys who are hung up on round counts would have walked on by this jewel.

I'm concerned about round count depending on the weapon. I've seen barrels worn slap out. Two thousand through my Colt LE 6920 no big deal. Two thousand through my Browning Bar would be a problem. That hunting rifle wasn't made for that type of shooting, lol, you'll have all lands and no grooves, it's not going to shoot straight. I think it matters sometimes, JMHO.

Round count matters depending on caliber..Especially when you shoot long distance ex:1000 yards.

Yep .22 LR or .45 ACP will last a long while. .220 Swift might be done in less than thousand, depending on round and cool down time between shots.

Round count means something to me if it was never fired or a couple of boxes of shells, otherwise you have examine the bore/throat area as it's typically the first to go South on a high pressure/high velocity round.

I would definitely agree that for the most part it doesn't matter, especially in pistols. I Think people post it to make potential buyers feel better. Is there a difference in component degradation for a pistol with 200 rounds shot vs 1k? No, I don't think so. At least not that anyone could tell with the naked eye. I also think because you can't tell, it's an untrustworthy claim in anyone's post and should typically be disregarded when considering value. This also applies to BNIB items. If someone else is selling a cosmetically sound piece identical to yours other than the rounds down range, your gun is worth the same as his.

Where I get frustrated is when I list an item and it is posted as used but "like new" condition, and someone PMs asking for round count. Wth?!?! Who cares?!?! I don't know, 150, 200, 500, it doesn't matter!!! Make an offer or kick rocks!

Last edited:
There it is 36 fat friends gets it. Again the average shooter puts less than 500 round thru a gun in a life time. If I had a bench gun I would list the round count it would be important but listing that my 10/22 has a low round count is STUPID!

Back
Top Bottom