• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any one use header ceramic coating for a barrel?

Not a good idea. The ceramic coating is made to keep the heat in the headers until it exits the engine bay. The idea is to keep engine compartment temps down and be easier on spark plug wires and incoming air temps down. Then after the heat is out of the headers and into the H pipe or Y pipe it can begin dispersing the heat. Same idea is used with header wraps and so forth. If the heat is not evacuated it can be recirculated through the engine and cutting down on performance. It can cause pre-ignition ( spark knock ), plug wire melting and effect other heat sensitive parts. It's also good to keep temps up in the exhaust to keep catalytic converter temps up, that's what burns off the extra carbon and other emissions down.

I would try it on a crappy gun like a Hi Point or Kahr first to see how it holds up. If it can stand up to sliding parts, it should do great on a stationary barrel.

You think a Hi Point and a Kahr are in the same quality category? Have you ever owned a Kahr?

You think a Hi Point and a Kahr are in the same quality category? Have you ever owned a Kahr?

The build quality on a Kahr is better, but the trigger on the Kahr makes it junk. Long sloppy reset makes it unfit for for serious situations. Especially for someone who trains on a better platform.

Any cerakote applicator should be able to do what you are wanting to do for less than you'll have in it, if you include your time. I'd do it for $40 if you wanna ship it to me.

Handles high heat better than regular paint. Planing a “Build” and using a keymod rail and I like a contrast.
I've never painted or coated any AR parts. However I have used engine/exhaust paint on several shotguns pumps and single barrels. Back in 13 I hacked up a non matching number SKS into paratrooper length and I used Duplicolor brake caliper paint on it. It was kind of a dark silver. It held up very well but I won't do that again. Painting any type of semi auto rifle is way more involved and harder to do correctly than old shotguns.
Anyway check out the color selection of Duplicolor as well as VHT engine paint. Either one is about $8.00 a can at most auto parts store.

I did it on an ithica. It held up well to a fingernail. The slide eventually started eating through when racking it. But after doing leyer, curing, layer, curing, layer curing...maybe 10 coats. I was ready to just spend the money and have it cerakoted. it is definitely for beater guns, or the ones you really don't mind redoing biannually.

Back
Top Bottom