• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Any other Ham Radio guys on here?

The point was that the air waves are way to patrolled. Your analogy of driving a car does not translate. The fcc is here for one reason, keep the broadcasting corporations in control of the air waves. I guess you blindly believe in your government to. Hey it's cool to each his own
I got my ticket a few months ago. KM4KRG.

Yeah, we should also be able to drive whatever we feel like speed wise right? I should be able to fly anything I like as well huh? I should.... get the picture? All of these things, while seemingly aren't a big deal, can impact others in worst cases.

True, 2m is limited. But I've made contacts beyond line of sight with 40w and a super j pole antenna I made.
View attachment 492050

I'm still just a tech, but studying for my general to open up the bands. I've been doing a lot of JT65 on 6 and 10m. I've been using at most 20w. And that was to make a qso on 10m to southern Argentina. (JT65 is awesome IMO)

I can understand where you're coming from. I was getting on weekly nets for a bit, but found it boring. I stick to just a local one I'm a member of now. (Actually had dinner tonight with the club) I'm honestly not keen on voice (phone) conversations. But the digital stuff is pretty fun to me.

Oh I have a bit of hardware now for things. I have a FT-450D to cover HF/50mhz. Then a mobile for 2m/70cm. Then I have 3 more mobiles (commercial units) I've converted to cover 2m, 70cm, and 6m FM. I bounce around on the 2m repeaters (I've been able to key up 23 of them from my house) if you want to catch me. Otherwise I can be found on 6 and 10m doing JT65.

Some things I'm interested in, I want to catch the space station eventually. (Was trying, but gave up for a bit) Then get into satellite and moonbouncing. That kinda seems neat to me.

IMaDad IMaDad what you need to do is upgrade to general, get a HF setup and run some contests. It rekindled my interest in ham radio for a while. I sold my HF rig when we moved. I want to get another one eventually.

73s
kg4ghn
Ham since 2000

The point was that the air waves are way to patrolled. Your analogy of driving a car does not translate. The fcc is here for one reason, keep the broadcasting corporations in control of the air waves. I guess you blindly believe in your government to. Hey it's cool to each his own

Let me explain my analogy.

Drive to fast, wreck, harm someone else. Point? Rules/laws were there to help limit the risk.

Transmit on wrong frequencies, impact some guidance or telemetry system, plane crash or something bad. Again, rules are in place to prevent that.

I don't blindly believe in my government. I just understand the reasonings for things. And because I understand doesn't mean I completely agree.

BTW, corporations are in control of pretty much every aspect of life these days.

Yeah I was just generalizing about 144; when the propagation's just right 2-meters can really pop, QSO couple hundred miles with a yagi.

Nice j pole antenna you built, they work very well. In a similar fashion, I made J-Pole wire antenna's using 12-gauge stranded electric wire and 450-ohm ladder line in 7mhz to 144mhz, I keep some rolled up in my BUB. They're very compact/lightweight and easy to slingshot fishing line over a tree branch and haul them up... make a quick QSO, pull back down and hike back into the brush. Can be hung upside down in a pinch or strung horizontal (polarization) too, damn near invisible in the woods/trees.

Mine are similar to these in the photos below but I use a smaller-diameter, more lightweight coax (100w max):

img_1287.jpg

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

That's a slick setup! How well does it tune on 2m, 6m, and 10m? (That's the only real places I could use it for now)

Back
Top Bottom