• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone else get their property tax statement today?

Soon the property tax grievance companies from up north will find business down here.

When I lived up there it took a couple years but the grievance company kept something like half of the first years savings. They knew who to pay off to make things happen.

Soon the property tax grievance companies from up north will find business down here.

When I lived up there it took a couple years but the grievance company kept something like half of the first years savings. They knew who to pay off to make things happen.
The fee here is 35% of savings the first year plus 250.00 fee or you can pay 25% first year savings and 350.00 fee. That will freeze your taxes for I believe 3 years.

there are plenty of real estate appraisers out there than know what, and how the county looks at a appraisal report, and therefore know how to create the report correctly......If this is the course you choose, make sure to find one of them
The is from a Real Estate appraiser

Stephens County raised the Millage rate for the first time in several years. But it went up an average of 8.65%.

They had stated they would raise the rates, then backed down, then announced this week that they would raise them, and held the vote last night.

My fault for not attending my local county meeting and speaking out, but it’s not just the tax increase that ticks me off, it’s the entire budget.

3% COLA for employees: they probably need more, so I’m not complaining

Also increase in healthcare insurance spending. Tied to employment, but we may have a few “heavy users” of insurance and that drives rates up dramatically.

Biggest Beef: they are “PROJECTING” a large increase in business taxes and corporate real estate taxes since they “anticipate” more and more businesses relocating to the county.

Issue #1. We just had a developer drop their proposal to build a retail area with two mini-box stores and an Aldi. I’m not sure if the commissioners have an inside track on several new industries coming here, but it leads to….

Issue #2. Most businesses get swayed to come by promises of tax breaks Ergo, to get them here the deal is sweetened by eliminating the very property taxes the county is counting on…

and….

Issue #3. If these business taxes don’t come through, and the county has already raised the millage rate, we, the tax payers , are now left having to shovel even more into the coffers to make up the difference.

At least the county sat down and developed the budget and tried to set the millage to cover the amount they needed, as opposed to what I’ve heard from other counties where they raise the millage rate on the new elevated values THEN make up ways to spend the money.

How come governments can’t work within a budget like those Americans who actually work? Want a nicer car? Work smarter or harder or longer. Need a new fridge? Pick up extra shifts, work OT, get a side gig.
(I know, I know, it was a hypothetical question).

Back
Top Bottom