• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone here do hardwood floors? I have a question...

Another shot
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Looks like red oak. They do look a bit light in some spots but it's hard to tell in pictures. A stain that dark will turn the grain almost black. We use that color frequently. They will look pretty different after a few coats of poly and it is possible to darken them up a bit of you want. Here are some floors we just finished with red oak in that color.

Another coat will do wonders to get it more uniformed and darker, then if you use oil base polyurethane that will add a bit of richness to the color also. If you don't like the golden hue that an oil based poly will leave then you can go with a water based poly that will leave a more true crystal clear color.

I'm a hardwood operator installer
So, is this normal looking for red oak?
These are differences in the individual pieces of wood that make the color come out all over the place? Is it normal for the stain to not look as dark and uniform as that freshly applied test area on the first pic? Will that dark striping fade some? Should I poly tint to if I want to darken it?

View attachment 971217 Looks like red oak. They do look a bit light in some spots but it's hard to tell in pictures. A stain that dark will turn the grain almost black. We use that color frequently. They will look pretty different after a few coats of poly and it is possible to darken them up a bit of you want. Here are some floors we just finished with red oak in that color.
That's it. They are no where near that uniform. They are almost white in some areas and pink in others. The striping figures in the grain are black so it's really giving off a zebra effect. They are going to do a oil poly layer then 2 water poly layers.
They said they could darken with tinting the poly. I said do it. It's too light.

So, is this normal looking for red oak?
These are differences in the individual pieces of wood that make the color come out all over the place? Is it normal for the stain to not look as dark and uniform as that freshly applied test area on the first pic? Will that dark striping fade some? Should I poly tint to if I want to darken it?

What brand stain did you use? Did you allow the stain to soak in the same length of time for the test spot versus the whole floor?

Back
Top Bottom