• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR’s What brands to stay away from?

My first hand experience. The first AR I built was on a lowly stripped Anderson lower and a Amderson stripped upper. I didn't care about logos, brand or resale value all I cared about were receivers that were mil-spec(ish) so I could use milspec parts and that would mate fairly tight. The Anderson did that perfectly. I used a DD barrel, Seeking handguard, Geissele trigger and other high end parts. I still have that gun and it is still dead nuts accurate and life protecting reliable. I buil one or two more Anderson's with quality parts that still function flawlessly but the lockup wasn't as tight as the first one. I then started moving up the proverbial AR receiver pecking order. After building several, all things considered, I'd say Aero would give the best fit and function for the money. That being said, I love the feel and look of billet receivers, SLR has been my current favorite for awhile. Focus on barrels (BA, Faxon, FN, DD), triggers, handguards and quality LPK's.

I've built them from back in the PWA stripped receiver days and $214 US GI M16 parts kits delivered (Numrich). Never used any polymer receivers or cast resin or wood. I had one Liberty receiver that was pretty nice and one Anderson (still have it) that works great. I try to use BCM M4 uppers and Turner Armaments lowers when they have them (never an issue). I collect Colts (I know, Fudd, but not a boomer). I have purchased and used Aero some times. The old preban PWA and Colt receivered rifles are going to Mass shortly.

I don't see anyone mentioning Seekins one way or the other? Thoughts on them?
cmshoot cmshoot

I don't like billet receivers. You have two choices with a billet receiver:

1. weaker than forged
or
2. heavier than forged

Forged receivers are stronger than billet receivers. So, a billet receiver with the same dimensions as a forged receiver will be a weaker receiver. Most billet receivers are thicker/heavier than a forged receiver, in order to have the same strength.

I have also seen issues with some billet uppers or lowers not accepting some parts, due to the fact that the external dimensions are different from forged milspec dimensions. This is especially true of billet uppers and quite a few rails, but I've seen issues with lowers as well.

I'd be happy to list the problems I have seen with Anderson receivers in just the past two years. Unless someone here actually works at Anderson building AR's, I can just about guarantee that I have built on, and worked on, more Anderson receivers in the past several years than anyone else here.

Funny you mentioned Anderson and PSA. Those are two I’ve heard to stay away from. seriously, I really don’t know is why I’m asking. Didn’t mean to open a can of 💩
I agree about PSA. Except for a PSA upper with a FN barrel. I would buy one of those, strip the barrel trash the rest.
It depends on what you require, needs and wants. Stainless barrels don't last as long but are inherently more accurate. If you just target practicing from time to time and hunting stainless barrels are fine. If you are buying on AR for decent accuracy and longevity the Chrome lined, Cold Hammer forged barrels are the ticket. For what you buy a really nice for you can build one and save loads of cash and have a kick ass rifle. If you are not comfortable taking on a build all the way, buy a complete lower then just build the upper with a nice barrel and good bolt and a quality upper reciever. You will appreciate a self build more. Of course there is a matter of budget. The best way to go about finding the right rifle for you is state your budget, what level of accuracy is needed ( for long range work ) and how hard are you going to run it. Then you will get some good recommendations based on your parameters. There plenty of what they call " operators " that will help you along.

After disassembling hundreds of recent colt rifles and finding numerous out of spec or improperly assembled parts… not sure I’d recommend them as the end all be all nowadays.

View attachment 4519412
Who's the dirty bastard that conned you into disassembling all of those!?

Back
Top Bottom