• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR’s What brands to stay away from?

I was wondering about that.

giphy.gif

I don't like billet receivers. You have two choices with a billet receiver:

1. weaker than forged
or
2. heavier than forged

Forged receivers are stronger than billet receivers. So, a billet receiver with the same dimensions as a forged receiver will be a weaker receiver. Most billet receivers are thicker/heavier than a forged receiver, in order to have the same strength.

I have also seen issues with some billet uppers or lowers not accepting some parts, due to the fact that the external dimensions are different from forged milspec dimensions. This is especially true of billet uppers and quite a few rails, but I've seen issues with lowers as well.

I'd be happy to list the problems I have seen with Anderson receivers in just the past two years. Unless someone here actually works at Anderson building AR's, I can just about guarantee that I have built on, and worked on, more Anderson receivers in the past several years than anyone else here.

The difference between billet and forged receivers is the bonding of the metals in forging. Forging allows tighter tolerances on the molecular level.

Here's a article that explains it much better than me. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...rked%20with.&usg=AOvVaw3xI2NrxC7zih0o_aAJ3LY1

The difference between billet and forged receivers is the bonding of the metals in forging. Forging allows tighter tolerances on the molecular level.

Here's a article that explains it much better than me. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj0momL5Yj5AhW6lGoFHbU6BRMQFnoECAgQAw&url=https://www.tfgusa.com/metal-forging-processes-methods/#:~:text=Metal%20forging%20is%20the%20process,the%20metal%20being%20worked%20with.&usg=AOvVaw3xI2NrxC7zih0o_aAJ3LY1

Yup. I put it into layman's terms!

Since we are mixing earned knowledge with opinion here's something controversial I heard recently from someone in the AR-15 business I trust about barrels.

Chrome-lined>Nitrided.

Their reasoning for that statement? For as "GREEN" as Big Army is trying to be now days and with how nasty the process of chroming is, if Nitriding was just as good, the government would have converted over to it by now.

Since we are mixing earned knowledge with opinion here's something controversial I heard recently from someone in the AR-15 business I trust about barrels.

Chrome-lined>Nitrided.

Their reasoning for that statement? For as "GREEN" as Big Army is trying to be now days and with how nasty the process of chroming is, if Nitriding was just as good, the government would have converted over to it by now.

You think the gubment cares about being green? They care about looking green and still supporting the mic. Nobody knows which barrels are environmentally friendly and nobody cares. Follow the money.

You think the gubment cares about being green? They care about looking green and still supporting the mic. Nobody knows which barrels are environmentally friendly and nobody cares. Follow the money.
I agree they care about looking green; see your last statement. I think they call them carbon credits.

Back
Top Bottom