• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR Pistol to SBR

XDfense

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
20   0
Reaction score
My apologies if this has been beaten to death, but my search skills are weak. I'm wanting to build an AR pistol with the intent of eventually converting it to an SBR. I want to purchase the stripped lower and build it up to a pistol, piece by piece. This is a long-term project (minimum one year) that I'm looking to do relatively cheap (sales and used parts), but most importantly, learn the details of this weapon platform and have fun with it. Also, money is not flowing freely like it was in 2013 so large dumps of money are impossible.

This is my purchase plan:

1. Stripped lower.
2. Lower parts kit.
3. Pistol buffer tube and spring.
4. Stripped upper.
5. Upper parts kit.
6. BCG
7. Barrel (likely 10.5")
8. Rail system (still deciding)
9. Optic and/or sights.
10. SBR tax stamp, new buffer tube, and stock (could be years from now - absolutely no hurry)

I have purchased a stripped lower and it should arrive at my LGS later this week. Do I need to do anything special upon receiving it; ie, receive it as a pistol instead of a rifle or vice versa? Can I build it like I plan, do the paperwork, receive the stamp, and finish it to an SBR?

If there are resources I'm not aware of, please let me know. Thanks all.

Nope. It's a stripped lower so it's not classified as a rifle. It's a fire arm but classified as an "other" if I remember right. So build away.

Once you have your "pistol" upper DO NOT have a rifle buffer tube and stock sitting around that's not in use. That can be construed as constructive intent. Once you get your stamp back them you can buy the buffer tube and stock to install on the lower.

I would buy the lower then efile the stamp for the sbr. If you're gonna take your time and are on a budget the stamp might come back before you buy all your parts. You could buy an actual buffer tube and stock at that point instead of buying a pistol tube and later spending more on the buffer and stock that you really wanted.

I would buy the lower then efile the stamp for the sbr. If you're gonna take your time and are on a budget the stamp might come back before you buy all your parts. You could buy an actual buffer tube and stock at that point instead of buying a pistol tube and later spending more on the buffer and stock that you really wanted.

This is good advice. You can actually use a regular buffer tube wrapped in para cord. As long as you can't put a stock on it you're fine. Then all you need is the actual stock once your stamp comes in. Or you can get one of those Sig arm braces to put on it also.

That is probably good advice, but I don't think I'm going to take it. Besides small purchases like a LPK and maybe some odds and ends, I'm on a strict budget. The wife and I are having our third in June and my wife has laid the law down. Plus, I'm very impulsive so this will be a fun slow build.

Back
Top Bottom