Assistance in picking out .308 platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

lftd&pwrstrok'n

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Sith Dark Lord
247   0
Reaction score
I am wanting a .308 AR/"battle rifle" and needing some help/information. I have done limited research and thought I had decided on an Armalite, but everytime I talk to someone they tell me something different. I am not going to be laying in the desert needing a rifle to defend my life, I probably will not be shooting 1000s of rounds a day through it; but I do want a quality/dependable rifle for shooting long distances in an AR type platform. Anyone make good quality clones in .308? What are y'alls thoughts on this subject?

AR-10's are a different animal than AR -15's. The parts will not work between different manufacturers(most of the time). I personally like the Armalite platform, but that's just me. I believe the DPMS are easier to find parts for.

I know you said an AR-10 variant, but what about a converted Saiga .308? I have one and love it. Much cheaper than a AR-10, will eat any cheap ammo you throw at it, and with some match ammo is as accurate as 99% of most shooters.

A lot of people poo-poo DPMS as a "low-quality" rifle. Granted they aren't Daniel Defense, but they aren't made to be either.

I own a DPMS oracle, and I will say that there are certain "short-cuts" that they take to bring the cost down. Some of these are not properly staking the gas key on the bcg, non mil-spec buffer tube, barrel not mpt or chrome-lined, end plate not staked, and several other things.

Having said this, I will say I have had zero problems with it in 1500+ rounds down range. YMMV.

Their .308 might be a different beast, but for what you say you need, it's probably gonna be hard to beat the value of the DPMS. My advice would be to go high-end ie Daniel defense, LMT, or others - or go with the DPMS. I've never owned an armalite (many folks consider them mid-tier), but to me, the "perceived" value is not worth the difference in cost over a DPMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom