• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Assistance in picking out .308 platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, doesnt Dpms make an ar-10 variant that accepts some ar-15 components? I think it's a SASS. But I'm a little fuzzy on the details. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If this is the case, you could save some money when you go to accessorize it given that ar-10 parts are usually about twice as much as ar-15 parts.

I haven't seen it suggested but the SCAR-H is a blast to shoot. I really would take a strong look at it if I were in the market for a .308 battle rifle.

Not trying to knock a m1a, scar, or fal, but the ar-10 has more modularity (is that a word?) out of the box where you can swap out parts, customize, etc.

Also, a scar 17 will usually run you just shy of 3k. For that price, you can have three ARs. A m1, usually is about a grand but your options might be limited for aftermarket parts. FALs? New from DSA they run around 2500. You could get a new kit with refurbed receiver for $800, but again your aftermarket is going to be relatively limited as well.

I own a DPMS LR .308 with the 24" stainless bull barrel and it's a darn good rifle for a range toy. I've never experienced any type of malfunction and never needed the forward assist. It's super accurate and shoots under an inch with nearly every type of ammo I've run through it. R25 style P mags are cheap and plentiful. Just be aware that the model I have is very heavy and bulky. The biggest complaint I had was with the trigger but once I installed a Chip McCormick it's very sweet. The only other thing I don't like is the dent in the brass after it comes off the shell deflector. A smoothside reciever probably wouldn't do this but shooting lefty I'm glad to know it's there. Yeah there are rifles that cost a lot more but I think the rifles that cost more are at a point of diminishing returns. Really not much if at all more accurate or durable. As far as a Saiga;forget it. Not even in the same league. The M1A however though it costs more is worthy of consideration.
That's my $.02

The LMT MWS .308 or the Larue Predatar/OBR series have both been amazing rifles for the battle rifle concept. Granted, they are a little higher than a DPMS or Armalite, but they'll deliver the goods when you need it.

Not trying to knock a m1a, scar, or fal, but the ar-10 has more modularity (is that a word?) out of the box where you can swap out parts, customize, etc.

Also, a scar 17 will usually run you just shy of 3k. For that price, you can have three ARs. A m1, usually is about a grand but your options might be limited for aftermarket parts. FALs? New from DSA they run around 2500. You could get a new kit with refurbed receiver for $800, but again your aftermarket is going to be relatively limited as well.

If you shop around you can find SCAR 17's for around $2,600-$2,700. A M1A, built up is going to be around $1,700-$1,800. The FAL's from DSA, while they do have some that go as high as $4,000 the normal Para and tactical models run between $1,700 and $2000. Finally we get to the AR10, the average price tag on it is $1,500 to $1,800. This price is inline with with both the FAL and M1A.

When we start talking about battle rifles we can't just talk about price we have to talk about ruggedness, weight, accuracy. Out of that list I am not sure the AR10 has proven its self in some of those areas. The SCAR-17 is might be a toss up as well. It has been fielded by the US military in small batches but nothing like the FAL or M1A which are IMO proven quantities on the battlefield the world over. On this note I would like to add in the H&K G3 might be worth checking out, it is reliable and easy to repair. The reason I suggested the SCAR-17 is because it is modular, as well as being accurate, light weight, smooth shooting and by all accounts reliable. It's down sides are it is expensive, uses proprietary mags and currently spare parts can be hard to come by. Even so it would be my choice.

Perhaps I should have left the term "battle rifle" out. What I meant was AR-10 (armalite) or AR in .308 or other such rifle in .308 (meaning no hunting/bolt action rifles). I do want a long (22-24) heavy barrel; so I guess that kind of takes away from the concept of "battle rifle"? Thanks for all the suggestions; but, I think I am going to go w/ an AR platform as that is what I am comfortable w/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom