• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Assistance in picking out .308 platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do your homework. As no milspec exist, there are many variants of AR type rifles in the .308 market. As for manufacturers, I've owned several DPMS without a hitch.

The DPMS uses the SR25 magazine platform. It's very reliable and plentiful. POF CMMG Fulton Armory, Remington, and the current production Bushmaster are DPMS/SR25 compatible.

Yes I prefer the DPMS platform due to the mags, but more so because my AR 15 trigger assembly/ fire control groups all drop right in. I currently own two 16" carbines, a DPMS and one of the new type Bushmaster's.

The Bushmaster ships with a better single stage trigger and uses any standard AR 15 trigger guards. The DPMS ships with typical milspec triggers and feature an integrated trigger guard.

The Bushmaster has a midlength gas system, while the DPMS has the standard carbine length.

The function of this platform has be great for me, and the accuracy exceptional. The plentiful trigger choices and magazines caused me to choose them to start with. Their performance keeps me buying them.

The only drawback is their weight. Once you get used to carrying the AR 15 platform, the larger ones all seem bulky.

I have the LMT MWS, it's been a great gun. It also takes P- Mags. And recently it was adopted by the British as their DMR... Something to think about...

Lots of great suggestions above. Two of my favorites are the my DSA FAL and M1A. Dont forget the FNAR coming in at $950.00 I sware its the best bang for the buck. Its a proven system, Browning BAR. Light weight and versital. Only draw back is magizine price, but you still save money no matter witch way you look at it. For the record I owned 3 DPMS LR308s all different configurations. I don't care for the bulk or the weight. Not bad guns though.
fnh-fnar.jpg

If money is no issue: SCAR 17 hands down!
2011216104256-w7498tar-1311-edit_m.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom