• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

At what point can I use deadly force?

cooner

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
At what point in a dispute out in public can I resort to using deadly force? I am just curious as to what point is it legal to use a firearm to defend your self.

Edit, not giving this type of advice.

I don't mind giving this type of advice, its what I do. :)

You perceive the threat of serious injury or death to yourself or a third party.

This answer is correct but not complete. Mere perception isn't good enough. You need to be able to articulate that you or a bystander was in immediate jeopardy of severe bodily injury or death. The suspect must have both the ability and the opportunity to carry out the threat. The amount of force used must be only that amount necessary to overcome the threat. Once the threat has been negated, force must be deescalated.

In the Academy we were taught that there are three things that must be present .
  1. Ability
  2. Opportunity
  3. Jeopardy

Someone who has a knife has the ability but if they're 100' away the opportunity isn't there. Or, someone with a gun but it's in a holster, there's no jeopardy. There must an Overt Act.

I usually wait until after I have taken two or three to the chest just to be on the safe side before I get out the wiffle ball bat.

I don't mind giving this type of advice, its what I do. :)

This answer is correct but not complete. Mere perception isn't good enough. You need to be able to articulate that you or a bystander was in immediate jeopardy of severe bodily injury or death. The suspect must have both the ability and the opportunity to carry out the threat. The amount of force used must be only that amount necessary to overcome the threat. Once the threat has been negated, force must be deescalated.

100% correct and I would have included the details also but based on the wording of the post my thought was the in-depth LE version would most likely muddy the waters of comprehension with regards to real life application. So I just went with the basic version that everyone should know regardless of background or training level (read average person).

Great detailed info. as usual StateLine. Always glad to read your stuff as its spot on every time.

I Didn't know you were a lawyer I thought you were a cop

I was a cop. I was also a law enforcement instructor with an emphasis on use of force and search and seizure. I'm also a firearms instructor and a SC CWP instructor. I also do consultation for a local defense attorney and have been qualified in court as an expert on firearms and the use of force. Plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

I was a cop. I was also a law enforcement instructor with an emphasis on use of force and search and seizure. I'm also a firearms instructor and a SC CWP instructor. I also do consultation for a local defense attorney and have been qualified in court as an expert on firearms and the use of force. Plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

The holiday in is the only thing your have going in you resume to back up your experience that's all you had to say LOL. My comment was not meant to call you out or anything like that

Back
Top Bottom