• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

At what point can I use deadly force?

I was a cop. I was also a law enforcement instructor with an emphasis on use of force and search and seizure. I'm also a firearms instructor and a SC CWP instructor. I also do consultation for a local defense attorney and have been qualified in court as an expert on firearms and the use of force. Plus I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

companyofburninghearts.files.wordpress.com_2011_11_responding_in_wonderment_and_awe.jpg

This is an important area that is too often overlooked.

We spend an hour to an hour and a half on this topic in our classes, not just on Ga. Code 16-3-21, ability, opportunity, & jeopardy, "reasonable man doctrine"....
but also on several case study examples of incidents that went wrong or went right.
Training civilians in these matters has been how I earn my living now for over 5 years.
I'm glad to hear that more people like Stateline are helping educate others.
This is an area that not enough attention is given to.
As my website says, its a lot less expensive to pay a qualified Instructor for this info. before an incident than to pay an attorney afterwards.

Last edited:
This is an important area that is too often overlooked.

We spend an hour to an hour and a half on this topic in our classes, not just on Ga. Code 16-3-21, ability, opportunity, & jeopardy, "reasonable man doctrine"....
but also on several case study examples of incidents that went wrong or went right.
Training civilians in these matters has been how I earn my living now for over 5 years.
I'm glad to hear that more people like Stateline are helping educate others.
This is an area that not enough attention is given to.
As my website says, its a lot less expensive to pay a qualified Instructor for this info. before an incident than to pay an attorney afterwards.

Protective measures... I scanned this while three to see if you had commented in. Glad to see you did! :)

I always try to articulate it as "the point at which you stop caring what a jury might do as compared to what is about to happen."

example: if someone is breaking into your home, you are (hopefully) going to care less about going to jail than being murdered in your bed.

How does the "Stand your Ground" law work? I assume it means you do not have to try to run from a threat...

Before SYG you were required to retreat from a threat if you could do so without increasing the risk to yourself or a third party. Where SYG applies, this is no longer necessary. This is the ONLY change SYG has made.

How does the "Stand your Ground" law work? I assume it means you do not have to try to run from a threat...

In a nutshell, the various legislatures have recognized that citizens not only have a right to defend themselves from violent attack, but in certain situations they also have a right to stand their ground and fight. Some other jurisdictions do not consider deadly force justifiable unless all other means, including escape, have been exhausted. This is referred to as a duty to retreat.

It varies from state to state as to where you have the right to "stand your ground". Some states don't recognize it at all. Others only recognize your home, some your vehicle and place of business. If I'm not mistaken, Florida has no duty retreat anywhere, hence the hesitance to bring up the matter of State of Florida vs. George Zimmerman. South Carolina recognizes your home (including hotels, campsites etc), your vehicle, and your fixed place of business. I'm sure Protective Measures can fill you in on GA law. Which I'm interested to learn firsthand as well.

Back
Top Bottom