• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

At what point can I use deadly force?

I always try to articulate it as "the point at which you stop caring what a jury might do as compared to what is about to happen."

example: if someone is breaking into your home, you are (hopefully) going to care less about going to jail than being murdered in your bed.

However, someone breaking into your house does not justify deadly force legally. All of the factors Stateline listed must exist. Or you must be able to show that you had reasonable cause to believe they did. A person breaking in is not reasonable cause to believe in itself.

However, someone breaking into your house does not justify deadly force legally. All of the factors Stateline listed must exist. Or you must be able to show that you had reasonable cause to believe they did. A person breaking in is not reasonable cause to believe in itself.

This is true. But I believe there is either some case law or some statutes that have recognized that the mere act of forcing entry into someone's home constitutes a reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm. Regardless, a cool headed gun owner is going to assess the situation and respond appropriately right? That's what we train for.

This is true. But I believe there is either some case law or some statutes that have recognized that the mere act of forcing entry into someone's home constitutes a reasonable fear of imminent bodily harm. Regardless, a cool headed gun owner is going to assess the situation and respond appropriately right? That's what we train for.

True of the cool headed and trained gun owner, but.......

Also, I am very unsure of the general acceptance of those statutes.

I suggest staying out of confrontation

THIS, walk away when you can. Only had to pull my gun once as a guy was trying to get into my car while I was stopped at a red light across the street from Piedmont park. It was 6:30 in the morning and I was headed to work there was a car in front of me and a car behind me I was stuck. He had something in his hand I'm still not sure what it was but luckily the sight of a Glock 21 made him decide there was nothing in the car he wanted any more. I pray I never have to do that again.

If someone is in your house at 2:47 a.m., forcefully, they're not there to sell you a vacuum.

But they could still be there without real threat to you or your family. Assumption of threat has landed many people in prison for manslaughter. A person could be a real criminal intent on stealing everything you own and still have no intent or ability to cause physical harm. I'm not saying I agree with the laws about this, but it is the law and if you don't want a nasty surprise that could destroy your life, you need to know what the law is.

True of the cool headed and trained gun owner, but.......

Also, I am very unsure of the general acceptance of those statutes.

Maybe, but there have been plenty of recent stories of people firing on home invaders, in some cases killing them. Very rarely have charges been brought, even in cases where the suspect was not visibly armed.

The reality is a hundred different juries would see hundred different cases a hundred different ways. My fallback position is always train and prepare yourself and be confident in your ability to make the decision to fire.

I always try to articulate it as "the point at which you stop caring what a jury might do as compared to what is about to happen."

I really like this and I'm going to remember it.

Back
Top Bottom