• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

atf maybe???

...but someone thats welling to pay over new price for a used gun just tells me no in the first place...

^^^this...nobody would say, "well gee willikers, I have $700 but you're only asking for $600, I'll just go ahead and give you the extra $100 becasue I can"...unless they mean "duh, I'm betting this guy will illegally sell me his firearm if I sweeten the pot." Too obvious on that one. Good for you doing the right thing and telling him no.

]
Alt009 said:
No worries...

But just to state the facts, person to person gun sales are perfectly legal here in the state of Georgia. In fact, they're legal in just about every state. Check out your local gun fairs - person to person sales happen all the time. Georgia probably has one of the most lenient gun laws in the country... Good old south. The reason I know all this is that I just finished up a Gun Class with Sharp Shooters and a police officer was my instructor. In fact, in GA you can even carry a gun on the outside of your clothing without a permit!

Any ways, no worries. There's plenty of people out there looking to sell their guns, though not as many looking to sell their XD's... Good luck.

per GA Carry:

Q: Can I carry a handgun openly, without concealing it?
A: No! Georgia is one of the minority of states that requires a Georgia Weapons License to carry a handgun openly outside of your home, car, or place of business. However, any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

What an ass. He needs to learn the laws and not get someone arrested with misinformation. Person to person sales are legal if both parties are GA residents and can legally own firearms in the state. A guy with a NH DL is not a Ga resident.

Exact wording from the ATF website:

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

I've gotten a few offers like the OPs in the last few months. They were carefully worded so that there was no doubt that the prospective buyer was a resident of another state but always had an excuse regarding why they were in Georgia. Of course, I quickly turned the offers down and an option of going through a FFL was put on the table. None of them ever took that offer.

It does seem unusual that these individuals would not know the law yet provide the exact bits of information needed to prove that the law was being broken.

<tin foil hat back on>

Back
Top Bottom