• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATF New requirement that ID include middle nam

gyppo

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
NRA Instructor
173   0
Reaction score
I read on a reliable web site that the ATF has a new rule that the ID presented for purchase of a firearm must include full middle name. I read this applies with all purchases. Check your license and / or your WCL if you are purchasing a gun in the near future.

Some of the guidance we’ve received, straight from the ATF:

The ATF Form 4473 Question #1 heading requires the transferor to record his/her complete middle name if the person has a middle name or, if no middle name, to record “NMN”.

Form 4473 further states that “if legal name contains an initial only, record ”IO” after the initial.”

A valid government issued document may be used to verify identification even if it reflects only a middle initial rather than the person’s full middle name.

How is this even possible, a lot of people don't have middle names? I don't.

You aren’t required to show a middle name if you don’t have one. In that case, in the appropriate “middle name” box on the 4473 you are to use “NMN”, complete with quotation marks.

If you have an initial only, like Jesus H. Christ, it would be written as H “IO”.

Straight from the ATF’s website, it states:

“The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license.”

Just says “transferee’s name”, and makes no specific mention of “full name”, “middle name”, etc.

Of course, it could be that this requirement is changing.

Back
Top Bottom