• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Auction the whole lot off or sell individually?

Sell as one lot or individually?

• Total voters

bensskateshop

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
118   0
Reaction score
My cousin passed a while back and I am in possession of a bunch of his tools. All are high end (Festool, etc.) They are currently up for auction at storage treasures at my Aunts direction but she isn't sure if she should sell individually instead.

Here is a link to the auction.

If there is enough interest (commitment to purchase), I'll cancel the auction and sell individually.

Please feel free to weigh in with opinions and share the link to anyone who might be interested.

Below are a few sample photos, more can be viewed at the link above.

Attachments

• DSC03062.JPG
    DSC03062.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC03103.JPG
    DSC03103.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC03109.JPG
    DSC03109.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC03137.JPG
    DSC03137.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 58
Dealing with a similar situation with some high end bicycles from my uncle’s passing. The time spent on listing each one individually and dealing with online sales is proving it would have been better to have his bike shop come in and make an offer on everything.

I understand trying to do what you think is right by trying to get the most out of everything, but I’d stick with the auction if that is what she is comfortable with.

I'll be completely honest I didn't even read your post. I just came here to give the only right answer to this question.

You will make more money selling off anything individually. You will be happier and sell everything faster as a whole lot.

Same conversation with parting out a car. You can sell the whole thing wrecked to a junkyard or an individual for say $1,500, but you can sell just the hood and doors for $2,000. You just have to have the time, space and patience to part out anything.

You'll make more money selling it individually, and if the track record of auction amounts on that site holds true, you'll be lucky to reach a bid of $1500.. Do what is easiest, I will keep an eye on the auction if you leave it up I would love to have just the stack of festoon, boxes for what the average auction brings on the site.

Dealing with a similar situation with some high end bicycles from my uncle’s passing. The time spent on listing each one individually and dealing with online sales is proving it would have been better to have his bike shop come in and make an offer on everything.

I understand trying to do what you think is right by trying to get the most out of everything, but I’d stick with the auction if that is what she is comfortable with.
What kind of bicycles?

When you say that you will make "more money selling it individually", that's only if you assign zero value to your time. ODT is proof that there are enough neckbeards around to nickle and dime everything, because they have the time to do it.

For more normal people, find a professional, have a sale/auction and be done with it.

Went to an auction of Fesstools several years ago that looked like a sales poster from Highland Hardware, nice stuff with all the accessories. All the hand tools were top of the line. Buyers were mostly pros who knew the value of stuff and were willing to pay it.

Back
Top Bottom