• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Automobile question for LEO

Those cars are coming from either Insurance Auto Auction, or Co-Part. I use to work at IAA and saw all kinds of crazy tow setups.

Most of the time it was Nigerian or Latino buyers trying to move cars as cheap as possible. However, we had a couple of Asian buyers buy 2 Jeep Cherokee's from us. When I took them out front on my forklift, they had a car dolly out and a friend there to drive their Corolla or Civic behind them (was a small car they drove up in). They hooked the tow dolly to one of the "driveable" Jeeps with a hitch and asked if I would load the other Jeep on the tow dolly with the drive wheels on the dolly. I told them they needed to drop the drive shaft and tow it by the steer wheels as the Jeep they were towing was ****ed up bad and steer wheels had bent tie rods and control arms and it wasn't going to tow that way.

After suggesting it a couple of times, I said, fine, not responsible for you vehicles when this doesn't work. Our on site officer didn't seem to care either. I loaded it how they wanted and went on with my business. I watched as I would drive by taking more cars out and they never ran a seat belt or ratchet strap around the steering wheel, nothing, just strapped the back wheels down and drove off.

I went out on my lunch break, and saw that tow rig on the side of the road a few miles down 41 south. The Jeep being towed was dragging the tows dolly towards the shoulder of the road and they were tinkering with it, I assume trying to get it to tow straight with bent up suspension. When I came back, they were gone. Later that day, they were on the news flipped upside down on I75S. The back Jeep probably started swaying really bad and inevitably flipping then over a few time into the median.

That day, I learned to just say "no" when I knew they were wanting to do something stupid. I would just tell them I wasn't allowed to load like that. Wasn't 100% true, but I wasn't going to contribute to an accident because people or so cheap they would rather risk their and other lives to save $150-$200 in tow fees.

love it just burning up transmissions. this is why you dont buy
cars from banana farmers
We use to get cars towed in that were automatics and the drive wheels on the ground. The tow drivers would just crank the car up and let it idle in neutral, meanwhile destroying the transmissions (they thought that N and 65mph for 50 miles wouldn't hurt them). When they would drop them, smoke would be coming out from under the car and barely have enough clutch/fluid pressure to get off the stinger to be parked. Lots of good parts ruined due to lazy lazy lazy tow drivers.

Don't call cops, call Public Safety (used to be called DOT) They will know what is legal and what isn't. Cops won't know.

Last time I checked, min tow equipment was a chain and a pipe.

A couple of years ago my wife and I were coming out of Home Depot when a battered older car pulled into the parking lot. I noticed some large object swinging under the back part of the car. Two Hispanic men got out of the car and went into the store. I had to go up and see what was under there. To my surprise it was the gas tank suspended by a large number of bungee cords. There was a lot of rust damage so I figured the original mounting hardware had rusted out.

seems to me if you were constantly buying from auto auctions
you would at least invest in a decent tow dolly

If you got to meet some of the buyers at those auctions, you would see why many of them dont have them.

Some super cheap folks "repairing" a lot of cars poorly and as cheap as possible. Some of these guys lots look like a scrap yard. Crap everywhere and their "repaired" junk sitting out front. One guy bought a Taurus that was hit hard on the right side. Roof, floor pan, extensive B pillar damage and said "well it didnt bend the other side out, we can just cut the good side off one we have in the yard and weld it in place on this one, should be a nice car". That was fairly common though. That said, ALOT of the late model salvage cars went to parts yards like LKQ, 4 lane and others.

A lot of them came from the South Fulton/Cobb and middle TN areas.

So, I have seen on the weekend's and late in the evening, on the interstate, vehicless that can't be safe and without a doubt not legal to be driven. I call them salvage trains...
View attachment 1035309
Usually it's one that was hit in the rear towing one that was hit in the front. The tow hitch is the sketchy of tow hitches.
Last night I seen the worst, a suburban with a tow dolly that had a rear wrecked truck that was pulling another salvaged vehicle. It was a mess that could barely maintain lane! I know towing two trailers is not illegal but they aren't piles of **** either!

So my question is, could I call this in when I see it? Or is it a waste of officer time, and just hope they don't kill someone in process of towing?

Damn.

That is distressing.

Is there any way to tell that this had been done? I guess the transmission fluid would smell scorched and such-but damn......

Some folks just need a good beat down. I am amazed that anyone would do this... No. I'm not.

You guys should see the **** they haul to mexico! I grew up right off i-10 in Texas. Very regularly would you see some sketchy ****. We should a junked/parts-car explorer to one for $600. He had a v6 silverado pulling a low boy with two cars on it, and flat towed the explorer behind the low boy. Down there they haul them to mexico and can sell them or part them for a lot more than they can here. They fill them up with BBQ pits and anything of value that'll get across the border. Lol

If you got to meet some of the buyers at those auctions, you would see why many of them dont have them.

Some super cheap folks "repairing" a lot of cars poorly and as cheap as possible. Some of these guys lots look like a scrap yard. Crap everywhere and their "repaired" junk sitting out front. One guy bought a Taurus that was hit hard on the right side. Roof, floor pan, extensive B pillar damage and said "well it didnt bend the other side out, we can just cut the good side off one we have in the yard and weld it in place on this one, should be a nice car". That was fairly common though. That said, ALOT of the late model salvage cars went to parts yards like LKQ, 4 lane and others.

A lot of them came from the South Fulton/Cobb and middle TN areas.

I used to do some work for a "tote the note" place.

They regularly sold "clip jobs" where the front half and back half were from two different cars. Might not even be the same brand. Sold the hell out of them, although you could see the weld down the middle plain as day.

They featured a "30/30" warranty - thirty feet out the drive way, or 30 MPH, which ever came first.

Back
Top Bottom