• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bad News for those who live near Hwy 20 in Cherokee County

Just a word to the wise...Gwinnett used a sleazy environmental trick to get around providing me and my neighbors the legally required notice that has always been required when a developer applies for a zoning variance.
It worked like this...the 17 acre parcel had a low swampy spot (about an acre). It was of no use to the developer because it was too wet. But, by calling this little mud hole a "wetland" - you know...like a duck habitat...the developer was allowed to buy another swampy worthless piece of ground in the county...and call it "wetland mitigation"...and by doing this he avoided having to post a sign giving us notice and a chance to protest.
I think they called it "CSO" zoning. It was a sham. The developer was then able to dig a retention pond on the swampy hole ( he needed one anyway) and everybody was happy.

Except, of course, me and my neighbors whose quiet rural street with scenic views had traffic jams and 45 houses crammed on top of each other. Overnight, we went from peace and quiet and leaving our doors unlocked to running thugs off our property. It was a crime, literally. Someone should have gone to jail.

Oh, and as a footnote to the sad tale, almost all of those houses were repossessed within a couple of years because they were sold with no down payment and little mortgage qualifying.
It was a planned, deliberate social engineering program funded by taxpayer dollars.

Just a word to the wise...Gwinnett used a sleazy environmental trick to get around providing me and my neighbors the legally required notice that has always been required when a developer applies for a zoning variance.
It worked like this...the 17 acre parcel had a low swampy spot (about an acre). It was of no use to the developer because it was too wet. But, by calling this little mud hole a "wetland" - you know...like a duck habitat...the developer was allowed to buy another swampy worthless piece of ground in the county...and call it "wetland mitigation"...and by doing this he avoided having to post a sign giving us notice and a chance to protest.
I think they called it "CSO" zoning. It was a sham. The developer was then able to dig a retention pond on the swampy hole ( he needed one anyway) and everybody was happy.

Except, of course, me and my neighbors whose quiet rural street with scenic views had traffic jams and 45 houses crammed on top of each other. Overnight, we went from peace and quiet and leaving our doors unlocked to running thugs off our property. It was a crime, literally. Someone should have gone to jail.

Oh, and as a footnote to the sad tale, almost all of those houses were repossessed within a couple of years because they were sold with no down payment and little mortgage qualifying.
It was a planned, deliberate social engineering program funded by taxpayer dollars.

If I were a vengeful sort and if that had happened to me...Well, let's just say those who PROFITTED from such shenanigans would hafta' be a long ways away to get a good night's sleep...

If I were a vengeful sort and if that had happened to me...Well, let's just say those who PROFITTED from such shenanigans would hafta' be a long ways away to get a good night's sleep...

Trust me, I have lain awake nights thinking about how to extract revenge. Sadly, some of the commissioners were supposedly "friends". In the end, I decided to let my (heavenly) Father deal with them...I am a firm believer that what goes around comes around.

BTW heavyd...according to their Facebook page and website this is a done deal with groundbreaking ceremony recently done (with county commissioners) and performing arts already booked and tickets sold.
You may be too late...

And the place sounds like a cool venue - somewhere I would go or plan a wedding. Just a damn shame they forced it on the neighbors.

Is your farm close enough for your new chicken house or pig farm to provide them with some rural, neighborly ambiance?

You might want to quietly get a permit or two to use your farm as a little leverage in this deal.

I did turn out my stud horse a few times that my new neighbors were lurking around our pasture...I am pretty sure he welcomed a couple of them with his teeth.

AND don't forget to out the planning commission, i have found on our planning comm's smell dirty money easy . Fight like HELL !!! People don't sit on these Boards and Authorities just to look good . By the way are they planning on giving this venture a tax defferal or rebate for TWENTY YEARS like some of out great leaders i've seen do before ? Screw'em!! i like my peace and quiet also , I'm with you and don't live close , but I know how these money grubbin B*****ds work .

AND don't forget to out the planning commission, i have found on our planning comm's smell dirty money easy . Fight like HELL !!! People don't sit on these Boards and Authorities just to look good . By the way are they planning on giving this venture a tax defferal or rebate for TWENTY YEARS like some of out great leaders i've seen do before ? Screw'em!! i like my peace and quiet also , I'm with you and don't live close , but I know how these money grubbin B*****ds work .
Wow. Not only are they sneaking this in on you and your neighbors, you get to help pay for the venture? Holy crap!

Nothing surprises me when it comes to county gov and development. A parcel of about 20 acres with a very clear 2-3 acres wetland onsite hidden at the back, year 2003 (ducks, herring, wetland grass and I found stakes & flagging denoting "wetland limits" that were years old (6-10) hidden in the cat tails.
I pulled on site on a Saturday to review the site plans that was close to my house and low & behold there was the developers truck and a small boat and 5-6 illegals not only chopping down specimen plants, pulling up wetland tstakes but shooting (.22) every livng thing in the pond while floating around in their mini-boat. Birds, ducks, beaver and what looked Otter dead on the shore.
I told the developer to cease immediately while I was onsite or I would be calling the cops and EPA. And to never do it again while our employees were onsite. I worked for him but I made it clear I was not playing.
Now Gwinnett Co. collects thier taxes (criminal inspectors hell crminal county in this area) and my own firm (I reported and located the wetlands stakes and the "cleaning") was just was guilty and got away with it, I left shortly after. Now a nice shopping center on Hwy 78 sits there
with a buried in formerly beautiful wetland behind it. Crooks the lot of them.

There is a wealthy business man trying to put in an amphitheater for concerts and a winery (really a fancy bar) off of Hwy 20 and Clearwater Trail. It's close to Sutallee Baptist Church. This so called amphitheater is inside of a neighborhood with 5 acre lots. So far, he has pushed planning and zoning to such an extent that the 11,000 sq. ft. commercial building and multiple parking lots were allowed without giving the neighbors notice and without a public hearing. All of this is going on in an agriculturally zoned lot in an agricultural neighborhood.

The winery is called Big Door Vineyards. They are sticking it to every day people in the small Clearwater Trail neighborhood. It's going to drive down their property value because no one wants to live next to a loud bar and amphitheater. I suspect the winery will then buy everyone out after their property isn't worth anything.

Unfortunately, my farm is just through the woods. An amphitheater will kill my property value as well. More than anything, I want peace and quiet like all the rest of my neighbors. Well, guess what. My neighbors and I are going to fight this like hell.

The winery's website is bigdoorvineyards.com. Since I made phone calls to the Commissioner and planning and zoning, the winery has changed its website. It began as offering 1,000 person concerts day and night with bars, food, et cetera. They are now back pedaling, trying to cover their tracks. We'll see how the website changed as time goes on.

I need help from my neighbors. Anyone that lives within 10 miles of the winery in Cherokee County can help.

Please call Commissioner Bob Kovacs at 678-493-6000. It wouldn't hurt to call the other Commissioners as well. Also, call the Director of Planning and Land Use, Jeff Watkins. 678-493-6107 He's the one who pushed this project through under our noses. Vicki Taylor Lee is another important contact at 678-493-6105. She is the zoning administrator.

I am working on a petition. I sent a demand letter to the above parties today. Please PM me if your are one of my Cherokee neighbors and are willing to sign our petition to stop this injustice.

Thank you,
Dean Phillips

You can fight it and win. Back in 2006 there was a large group of investors who bought 164 acres that adjoin my property. It too is zoned agricultural. They were wanting to get it rezoned and build a sub-division with 4 houses per acre. They payed 1.75 million for the land at an auction. I was at the auction. Even offered to foot the bill for roads, and sewage. Every planning commission meeting had 500-600 people show up to fight it. It got approved and went to the county commission. We kept fighting it and to make a long story short, that 164 acres is still undeveloped and the investors went bankrupt. Bad for thembut they got what they deserved considering all the underhanded tricks they pulled during the process.

Back
Top Bottom