• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best AR caliber for hunting hogs?

DaveInGA

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
48   0
Reaction score
I've got an invite to South Georgia to hunt hogs year around. The farm already has feeders, lights and cameras set up to bring the hogs in, so it'll be a stationary hunt.

I'm looking at using my AR15, my AR308/RemR25 or I also have an AR lower that doesn't have an upper right now. I'm considering building a 300 blackout upper just for hog hunting and reducing the range of the bullet a bit.

What's the better AR caliber for hog hunting? .223, 300BO or .308?

6.8 SPC and I'm not biased. See here's an upper for sale that's not that far from you... :party:
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/802733-FS-FT-Spike-s-ARP-6-8-SPC-Ar-15

Seriously though, if you're running suppressed I would go with a 300 blackout. Otherwise I would go with 6.8 SPC. If you don't mind the extra weight and recoil the 308 will do you good. I am much faster running through the fields chasing those evil ******* with an AR-15 style rifle than a heavy 308. Plus I can get quicker shots when they're running and quicker followup shots.

Last edited:
Would avoid .223 if you can. I'm sure they work fine and like mentioned above a head shot will do the trick. Brought one of my buddies hunting two years ago, he's now a game warden in GA. He shot a big hog 3 times from 25 yards out with his AR-15 and it ran off like nothing even happened. Never did find it. Shot placement is everything though.

What range are you hunting? I have used a 7.62x39 AR on deer for years and upgraded to 308 AR this year for deer/hogs. If you have a 308, it will solve you problems. BTW, if the recoil is heavy and it is throwing shell casings a long ways, try changing out the gas block for an adjustable one. The reduction in recoil will surprise you. Last thing is a good brake/comp and a set of ear plugs.

You know that all you have to do is ask and I'm sure that you will get enough people to make every hog in the area fear for it life.:D

Thank you gents for the information on caliber. Once they get comfortable with me hunting there, I'll ask them if they mind other hog hunters coming along. I know they're a big farm, but I haven't been down there yet. Plan to start after deer and turkey season are over.

Back
Top Bottom