• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best Handgun for a rank novice?

Cheapest safest thing to do would be to get butt naked if he feels hes in danger. I havent seen many that wanna stay the course once that card is played, acting excited or friendly to would be threats also intensifies the effect.
Don't threatened me with a good time.

I have a friend who wants a handgun for protection - he has to visit bad sections of town at night sometimes for his job.

His mechanical aptitude peaked the day he learned how to operate a manual screwdriver.

I can imagine the gun getting ZERO attention for many years and then being brought in to action in an emergency.

The handgun would need to be ultra-reliable with next to no maintenance.

What should he get?
Depends on a lot of things such as the size, weight, physique, mental attitude, awareness, and cognitive ability of your friend to name a few. With the information you have provided I wouldn't trust him with a sharpened manual screwdriver, even though you can vouch for his efficiency with that tool.

As others have said, have him get some training in the handling and firing of handguns as well as the basics in self defense in an emergency situation. I'd be very reluctant to suggest any kind of gun to him unless he has reached some level of proficiency with firearms.

Even with those who are fully qualified with firearms there are incidents of injury and deaths of innocents when adrenaline is pumping. The last thing you need to hear in court is "well. my friend told me to get a (insert gun of your choice) for self protection".

A Glock isn’t DAO. A DAO revolver has a long stroke, typically weighing 12lbs and more.
Yeah and I thought that would be a good thing for the less than experienced trigger finger. I have a P95 that's decock only and it has a super long heavy trigger pull on the DA pull. I believe they made all the P series pistols in a DAO option.

Yeah and I thought that would be a good thing for the less than experienced trigger finger. I have a P95 that's decock only and it has a super long heavy trigger pull on the DA pull. I believe they made all the P series pistols in a DAO option.

And with a P95, if you limp wrist it and have a malf, you can beat the perp to death with it.

I think a Smith and Wesson Airweight in 38 special is what your friend needs.
1. He's not interested in training, so he needs simple.
2. He's probably not willing to carry a heavy .357.
3. Double action pull is just as he's expecting. Pull the trigger simplicity. You load it for him and the rounds will likely corrode in place, but may still work when he needs it.
4. Five rounds is all he's going to get off, one way or the other. Either he's won the fight or he's dead.
5. The double action only trigger sucks, but most bad guys will probably yell "Fudge, I'm being shot at!" and run away when the shooting starts. If not, see #4.

Back
Top Bottom