• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

best way to carry extra ammo while hunting

whats the best way to hold extra rounds for hunting

• ammo belt

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • wallet style belt holder

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • sleeve on stock

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • extra rounds in pockets

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • other, specify if you have the time

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters
Dakota, to be honest with a bolt gun you probably won't ever get through the rounds in the mag

i can understand that, one shot one kill is my preferred method. the extra ammo is just that extra

i plan on using the belt to hold the rounds i plan on shooting at the range

Dakota, to be honest with a bolt gun you probably won't ever get through the rounds in the mag

This...I only load 4 at the most...that's in case I have to take an extra kill shot...no need for all the extra bulk on your rifle...remember, just "meat & potatoes" for a deer rifle...doesn't take much...

i can understand that, one shot one kill is my preferred method. the extra ammo is just that extra

i plan on using the belt to hold the rounds i plan on shooting at the range

I can understand that but also keep in mind that it's extra weight to carry through the woods. When I use to hunt I had 5 in the mag and a pistol on my hip. I didn't carry any more weight than I had to because if I nabbed a dear I still had to drag it out too.

I have only had one time in my life I needed a follow up shot, not that I am that good, but follow up shots are rare. I carry one in the chamber, 3 in the mag and the rest on the buttstock. I have regrets on not walking in with one in the chamber on 2 separate occasions. One during blackpowder about two years ago, no primer, walked in at 50-75 yards in front of me a nice 8 point who was just following a doe stopped in the trail in front of me. As i put a primer in and locked it he took off and never saw him the rest of the year.

With .22 ammo, I used one of those rubberized change holders until it fell apart. I use a zip lock bag for now, got to find another change holder, they aren't as common as they once were.

Nick T

With .22 ammo, I used one of those rubberized change holders until it fell apart. I use a zip lock bag for now, got to find another change holder, they aren't as common as they once were.

Nick T

i might be able to find a leather change holder with a zipper on it for you if you want? i have a drawer full someplace.

i am one of those rare people who pay in exact change most of the time

If hunting with a bolt gun I take 3-5 rounds and a side arm fully loaded. If mag fed AR 10 or 15 I'll put 3-5 in the primary mag and have a 2nd 20 rd mag fully loaded

Back
Top Bottom