• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

best way to carry extra ammo while hunting

whats the best way to hold extra rounds for hunting

• ammo belt

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • wallet style belt holder

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • sleeve on stock

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • extra rounds in pockets

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • other, specify if you have the time

Votes: 12 24.5%

• Total voters
T/C Contender in 35 Rem. I have a 5 round holder that I strap on my forearm for quick access if I need to chamber another round. Haven't needed the extra round yet but it's right there and the reloading is super quick.

I keep 9 on the stock along with a loaded mag in the rifle with 4 rounds. I usually have my sidearm with me with a full mag. I only have to walk a few hundred yards from the cabin to my stand so I don't worry about needing much more than that.

For deer hunting whatever the mag holds, that's it (not counting sidearm). All of that is just an extra opportunity to make noise and as has been pointed out I don't need to carry extra weight. I have never in my life fired more than one round at a deer. The most shots I've ever fired in a hunt is two (dead coyote, dead deer).
If a single shot, I take an ammo wallet which holds 6 rounds). For bird hunting, pockets full. For varmint hunting, full mag plus 'maybe' another handful at most in pockets.

I have the mag in my rifle loaded with 3 and carry an extra 5 in my pack. I have only had to go into the pack for extras once after killing 2 deer and a bobcat. Even then I only used 1 more round at a running coyote.

Back
Top Bottom