• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big Green Egg

rrhodes

Default rank <1500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
This thing has been sitting on my porch for a year, I have yet to use it (outside of heating it up). This post

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-x-large-big-green-egg.913213/

prompted me to get off my A** and try to cook something next weekend in it.

So I ask, what are your favorite - no fail - recipes for a still newby egg owner? Something to throw on and go on?

2015-04-19 16.31.33.jpg
2015-04-19 16.31.40.jpg

Pork butts, sittin chickens, pork loin, chicken wings, salmon on a plank, burgers that you will not believe and that is just for starters. I have an XL and 2 Ls. I have all 3 going at times. I guess I am an Eggadict.

Grill. Live on a farm, need a throw it on and let it cook approach. That would allow me to work while whatever cooks. Gun shop down in Warner Robbins has one working out front, that day had wild turkey and chicken, with sliced bread cooking for customers. Easy sale.

They're all "no-fail" recipes. I have yet to burn or ruin anything I've cooked on my Bubba Keg (steel version of the egg) in over 6 years. Even burgers come out better than on a standard grill. The key is not to open it while it cooks. Keeps the moisture in.

Why not try some fish on it? Salmon, red snapper, amberjack, etc. doesn't matter. Fire it up with a double handful of lump charcoal (no brickettes!), bring the temp up to 400-450. Put your fish on for 20-25 minutes and enjoy. Don't use the placesetter, direct heat is fine.

WOW! I'm a egg-addict myself. Try some burgers first off to give it a little seasoning then a nice thick ribeye. Experiment a little with it and you'll probably grow to love it. Good Luck!

Whole pork loin, rub with Bad Byrons butt rub or whatever seasoning you have handy, direct heat roll to sear all sides, close shutter to 1/2 inch should be cooking at about 275* with lid closed. let it alone until internal temp reaches 147* usually about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Let rest 15-20 minutes, slice, serve, accept accolades.

Get an 8lb pork butt, slather in mustard and sprinkle your favorite rub on there. Add some fuel (lump wood, etc), smoke. One thing about the is that it's a set-it-and-forget-it. Get a decent thermometer and just monitor the temps.

As Bucket99 mentioned, burgers or steaks will help you learn your temp control and season your egg. An easy, fast meal is some 1.5" thick ribeyes, seasoned with your marinade or seasoning of choice. Bring Egg up to 600 degrees. Throw on steaks for about 3.5 min/side, close vents and turn steaks once more and leave for 1 min longer. Bring them inside and let them rest under foil about 10 minutes before serving. Should be Med-rare inside. If you like them a little more done, adjust times in 1 minute increments.

Back
Top Bottom