• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Big Green Egg

Boston Butt -

Get some apple chips soaking @ 45 minutes - then wrap a couple of handfulls in tin foil - leaving a little opening on top - save the rest of the chip to place directly on the hot coals.
rub / coat the butt with a little mustard - then cover with a commercial dry rub (Bad Bryon's Butt Rub or Dreamland's Butt Rub) let it set to room temp.

In the mean time get your coals started - do not cheap out get the Green Egg Charcoal - in a pinch Cowboy Brand at Ace works - load the coals up to the bottom of the smaller ring. Wait till the coals are going good - drop the wet apple chips directly onto the coals then place the chips in the tin foil onto the coals. Put the pizza tray in upside down then the grill rack on (see your picture) - close the lid - get the temperature down to 200-215 and make sure is steady - If you have a rack for a rib roast put the butt in it and set in on the grill rack. Close the lid - go back and check the temperature in 30 min. if it is in range you are good to go.

I run about an 1 - 1 1/2 hour per pound with bone in
I run about 1 hour per pound bone out.

Using a 7 lb. bone out butt for example - If your temperature stays good check it and the butt in about 4 1/2 hours. You will notice a little shrinkage and a nice layer of crust starting to form. Check internal temp (looking to get up to around 160) - take it off the grill wrap it in tin foil. Put it back on the grill for 1 1/2 hours. Take it off the grill - unwrap it - should have lot of juice in tin foil - use that for dipping. Place butt back on the grill uncovered for a 1/2 hour - you should be able to pull the meat away at this point. Take it off grill - let it set for 10 -15 mins. and chop or pull it.

put it on a bun with some slaw, a pickle, pour some of the drippings on it or a splash some of your favorite BBQ sauce on it.

Attachments

• BGE1.JPG
    BGE1.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 51
  • BGE2.JPG
    BGE2.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 50
I screwed up some good meat at first... But once ya get the hang of it then you will NEVER look back. I am a wood freak so Apple , Pecan, Peach, Hickory, RedOak, Mesquite are all in stock

I have an Xl And 2 L's as well. Often they are all going at the same time but if not one is going most of the time. EGG or get off the pot.

1# venison burger
3 tsp Dales Seasoning
1- pack of onion soup mix
Combine all 3, pack into patties and cook on the BGE

1-Butterball turkey
Inject with Tony Sacherie's Cajun Injector Creole Butter seasoning.
Place whole turkey into disposable aluminum bake dish, add chicken broth and chopped onions.
Smoke in BGE @ 300 degrees unil it reaches desired temp. Usually takes 4 hours or so if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom