• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Boresighting a scope

Theo

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
57   0
Reaction score
I have a SWFA tactical 30mm fixed power 16x42 scope mounted on a Howa mini 1500 .223.

I also have a (cheap ass $7) Pinty 223 boresight.

It produces a bright red laser dot when viewed with the naked eye BUT...... It is invisible when I look through the scope.

I've even taken it out of the weapon and pointed it at the target still can't see through the scope

I've read where some of these scopes have at least one filter lens in them could this be the problem?

Anybody out there with an answer or opinion, please feel free to call me

Theo
404-754-0415

I have several of the "drop in" type laser bore sights. I find that they won't go much past 40 yards both indoor or outdoors. Try it on a wall in your house and see if it will work that way. It will get you in the general range if it works. If you can't see it thru your scope on a wall, you will have to try something else. Maybe take the bolt out and look down the barrel and adjust the scope to general area seen in the bore?

I have several of the "drop in" type laser bore sights. I find that they won't go much past 40 yards both indoor or outdoors. Try it on a wall in your house and see if it will work that way. It will get you in the general range if it works. If you can't see it thru your scope on a wall, you will have to try something else. Maybe take the bolt out and look down the barrel and adjust the scope to general area seen in the bore?
Thanks for your reply, I am trying to bore sight indoors, still can't see the red dot. What I'll do is put the bore sight in the weapon with my
cross hairs on target, I"ll color the red dot black (Magic marker) see if that does it

I had the same problem with one of those boresighters. I fixed it by getting a green laser one that goes on the end of the barrel and doing my boresighting at home before going to the range. It got me on paper, and saved allot of ammo at the range. I still can't see it on a target at the range on a sunny day, not matter what the manufacturer says, but using it at home does well.

Back
Top Bottom