• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Braves Moving to Cobb at NW Corner of 75 and 285

and someone on my FB feed has already called this move racism.
i42.tinypic.com_2yp0n52.png

Seems there's been more than one recent study showing that public funds are never recouped on these deals either directly or indirectly and this has to be one of the most heavily leveraged deals I've ever heard of.
If it was in Gwinnett, I'd be wearing out my commissioner's ear.

I'm guessing it was an auction between several municipalities and Gwinnett already paid for one Braves stadium.

- - - Updated - - -

You have to "friend" me.

I can't wait for the construction traffic and then the game traffic! Good times, they are a coming!

I'm guessing it was an auction between several municipalities and Gwinnett already paid for one Braves stadium.
Probaby, but at least Gwinnet had a plan for an actual DIRECT payback. (Not that I was in favor of that either.) This infatuation with subsidizing professional sports teams as some sort of public 'need' is just bizarre. I'd feel infinitely better about supporting a team with my dollars if I knew I wasn't paying twice.
Oh well, this is up to the Cobb county residents to decide. Although it apparently may have been decided already without need for input from the unwashed.

No reason to get butt hurt over it nobody liked that the braves left FC stadium but you got over it. It's going to happen whether you want it to or not. a multimillion dollar organization doesn't care about the cries of people. All they care about is making more money. Is that going to stop a lot of people from going? maybe but they will gain more attendance no doubt just due to curiosity, and because of its location. Will I miss the Ted hell yeah I love that place. s*** happens tax dollars or not. It's going to be hard to stop someone more powerful and more wealthy than you.

A) That's not calling the move racism.

B) I can't say as I disagree with it. To be clear, I don't share the sentiment, but I do believe it exists and is a contributing factor to the decision.

Probaby, but at least Gwinnet had a plan for an actual DIRECT payback. (Not that I was in favor of that either.) This infatuation with subsidizing professional sports teams as some sort of public 'need' is just bizarre. I'd feel infinitely better about supporting a team with my dollars if I knew I wasn't paying twice.
Oh well, this is up to the Cobb county residents to decide. Although it apparently may have been decided already without need for input from the unwashed.

Wiki :
"The stadium construction and maintenance is being paid by the taxpayer-funded Gwinnett County government, but the Braves will keep most of the revenue from ticket and concession stand sales. The municipal bonds used to pay for the stadium run for 30 years (until 2038), but the Braves have an option to back out of the contract after only half of that time (in 2023), if the county does not maintain the facility at an acceptable level. This would leave county taxpayers responsible for the remainder. Although this relationship between the Braves and Gwinnett County appears unbalanced, the sales tax revenue that the county will bring in from the sales at the stadium will allegedly benefit the county more than the cost of the stadium."

I know Wiki is not an authority.

A) That's not calling the move racism.

B) I can't say as I disagree with it. To be clear, I don't share the sentiment, but I do believe it exists and is a contributing factor to the decision.

A. I suppose not but he has a bunch if other quotes about people being scared to come down to Atlanta because of black people.

B. It's not white flight, it's parking expansion, a move to the bulk of ticket sales, as the opportunity for an interactive community that will develop around it (walking distance) that Atlanta never provided.

Back
Top Bottom