• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Braves Moving to Cobb at NW Corner of 75 and 285

Wiki :
"The stadium construction and maintenance is being paid by the taxpayer-funded Gwinnett County government, but the Braves will keep most of the revenue from ticket and concession stand sales. The municipal bonds used to pay for the stadium run for 30 years (until 2038), but the Braves have an option to back out of the contract after only half of that time (in 2023), if the county does not maintain the facility at an acceptable level. This would leave county taxpayers responsible for the remainder. Although this relationship between the Braves and Gwinnett County appears unbalanced, the sales tax revenue that the county will bring in from the sales at the stadium will allegedly benefit the county more than the cost of the stadium."

I know Wiki is not an authority.

I remember seeing some discussion that the revenue stream for the Gwinnett Braves was nowhere near what was projected.

Wiki :
"The stadium construction and maintenance is being paid by the taxpayer-funded Gwinnett County government, but the Braves will keep most of the revenue from ticket and concession stand sales. The municipal bonds used to pay for the stadium run for 30 years (until 2038), but the Braves have an option to back out of the contract after only half of that time (in 2023), if the county does not maintain the facility at an acceptable level. This would leave county taxpayers responsible for the remainder. Although this relationship between the Braves and Gwinnett County appears unbalanced, the sales tax revenue that the county will bring in from the sales at the stadium will allegedly benefit the county more than the cost of the stadium."

I know Wiki is not an authority.
Exactly. They also use parking revenue and a car rental tax to pay back the loan. It's NOT WORKING (anywhere near the pace it was projected). It NEVER works. And Gwinnett, unlike many municipalities, actually had a PLAN for it to be paid back in full. That's my point. If this goes through in Cobb, the residents will be out hundreds of millions of dollars when the dust settles. It's taking from the many to benefit the few. But it's the way apparently most all of the deals happen now.
Heck the Ted was 'free' (Olympics). You'd think the organization might have used that gift to plan for a new stadium one day. Nah.....

The nice thing is I live close enough to enjoy the park but not in the county paying for it. :evil:
Yep, it's hard to complain about others voluntarily and knowingly subsidizing something for me. ;)
But of course the lion's share of the subsidy benefit isn't coming to you or I... or the citizens of Cobb (I'm assuming few if any of the 20+ owners of the team don't live in Cobb)

They should get a couple free tickets or half off tickets at least. The stadium would make more money from food and parking than having empty seats.
Ha, no joke. The tickets to see the Gwinnett Braves are dirt cheap. To get a hot dog and coke you have to take out a second mortgage. ;)

Yep, it's hard to complain about others voluntarily and knowingly subsidizing something for me. ;)
But of course the lion's share of the subsidy benefit isn't coming to you or I... or the citizens of Cobb (I'm assuming few if any of the 20+ owners of the team don't live in Cobb)

Truth be told, I pay a lot of tax in Cobb because several of my equipment suppliers are there.

Have they announced a sales tax increase yet?

Well at the end of last season they were giving out a ton of free tickets I have about 10 free ticket coupons to redeem and the food vendors aren't owned by the braves they are privately owned

Back
Top Bottom