• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

BREAKING NEWS: ATF's Frame/Receiver Rule VACATED

So to be clear, the 5th circuit said no and slapped the atf's hand. Then they appealed and the Supreme Court said "we won't say the lower court was wrong, we are just saying the atf can continue enforcing the rule change until we make up our mind"? Does that about cover it?

So to be clear, the 5th circuit said no and slapped the atf's hand. Then they appealed and the Supreme Court said "we won't say the lower court was wrong, we are just saying the atf can continue enforcing the rule change until we make up our mind"? Does that about cover it?
The supreme court wasn't being asked to rule on the district court ruling yet, just whether or not the ATF can continue to enforce the rule until the appeals court (and possibly supreme court) issue final rulings.

I wouldn't read too much in to who voted which way because there's a number of reasons why one might vote differently on staying the ruling versus when they are asked whether to, or how to rule on the actual merits of the case. It could be something as simple as showing distaste for the crazy rise in the number of Universal Injunctions from district court judges, or not wanting to create a situation where it becomes the judiciary's purview to determine the validity of the Justice Department's claims of public safety threats in an "emergency" hearing just to stay a ruling.

I'll still be a bit surprised if the supreme court ends up taking up this case after the appeals court rules on it, I feel like there are much bigger firearms cases concerning "assault weapons bans" coming out of a bunch of blue states headed to the SCOTUS and they usually don't like to take on too many similar cases at once.

The supreme court wasn't being asked to rule on the district court ruling yet, just whether or not the ATF can continue to enforce the rule until the appeals court (and possibly supreme court) issue final rulings.

I wouldn't read too much in to who voted which way because there's a number of reasons why one might vote differently on staying the ruling versus when they are asked whether to, or how to rule on the actual merits of the case. It could be something as simple as showing distaste for the crazy rise in the number of Universal Injunctions from district court judges, or not wanting to create a situation where it becomes the judiciary's purview to determine the validity of the Justice Department's claims of public safety threats in an "emergency" hearing just to stay a ruling.

I'll still be a bit surprised if the supreme court ends up taking up this case after the appeals court rules on it, I feel like there are much bigger firearms cases concerning "assault weapons bans" coming out of a bunch of blue states headed to the SCOTUS and they usually don't like to take on too many similar cases at once.
Fair point. Thanks for the input.

The Reload talked about this a few weeks ago.

The SC has always given deference to the Feds in situations like this, and it was very unusual for on Circuit to issue an injunction outside their jurisdiction (i.e. for the whole country).

The rule will still almost certainly be overturned on it's merits, but that's going to take a while, and Polymer 80 (like SlideFire before it) may be out of business before it's settled.

A good overview of the decision. As he states it's Roberts and ACB deferring to federal government interests in a ruling that is clearly Unconstitutional.

While I am not generally a huge fan of G&G, he always seems to have a pretty solid source on breaking news.
He's okay. I like that he had sense enough to get the hell out of MA. Think he moved to TN. I can tolerate listening to him read the reports ( even with the slight Boston accent) better than other guys. John Crump is a good example. His news is always on point but the way he talks sounds like he just got braces or a retainer.

This is all I get out of the article

IMG_5319.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom