• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Budget Friendly Must Haves?

What are some good, solid purchases at the $200 mark for guns?
-Ruger 10/22
-Taurus PT111
-Maverick 88
I got my 709 Slim for $180.00. I would rather it was the 111G2 but I'll get one of those eventually. Don't have a Maverick 88 but I do have a 500A 20" 8 round. But at the right price I would damn sure get a Maverick. (Shotgun or Car) I can't believe it's been 20 years since i owned a 10/22. I guess I'm waiting on my stepfather to croak and get my old one back.
I think everyone needs a Hi Point in whatever caliber you prefer and some kind of long term storage container for it with some ammo and mags. If you got really lucky you might score an Armscor M200 or M206 snub for two bills. Personally I feel like I need 2 or 3 more snubs to strategically stash around the trailer.

Cheap but effective guns:

SMALL size: Kel-tec 9mm or 380

MEDIUM size: S&W SIgma or SV series.
Bersa Thunder .380

LARGE size: Used S&W model 10 or similar police revolver.
Taurus 92 (Copy of Beretta 92/M9).
Llama or Star copies of 1911.

RIFLES:
Ruger 10/22
Marlin model 60
Savage Axis (.308 or similar deer rifle caliber)
Mosin-Nagant milsurps
Sporterized 98 Mausers, 03 Springfield, Enfields, and other WWII era bolt actions.

SHOTGUNS:
Mossberg 500 pump
Maverick 88 pump
H&R / NEF single-shot break open shotguns (can use rifle barrels, too).

J&G sales has the Ruger LCP .380 for $199, and military surplus 7 x 57mm Spanish Mauser rifles for $179.
The Mausers are a good gun. Much smoother actions and better trigger pulls than a Soviet Mosin, in my experience.
I took a Spanish Mauser (rebarreled to .308 back in the 1950s) to a rifle match and did well with it.

http://www.jgsales.com/featured_products.php/page/2

I paid $180 for a NEF pardner pump 20 gauge and I love that thing. It's a great shotgun for the money.

I also have a 10/22 that was $200.

I like the Heritage .22 revolvers and might buy one someday.

I have a Hi Standard .22 revolver made in 1962 and it is awesome! I paid under $200 OTD at a pawn shop, and got a deal for sure.

The Heritage revolvers, particularly the once that come with one .22LR cylinder and one .22WMR (.22 magnum) cylinder for about $150 are a great deal, but... but... only if you have some practical use for a single-action revolver with fixed sights, and really tiny sights prone to horrible glare in the sunlight.

If somebody would make an affordable double-action .22 revolver that comes with two cylinders, that would be wonderful. I used to have a H&R model 922 that had a cylinder that had to be removed from the gun by pulling the pin (it was not on a swinging arm or crane assembly). Such a system would make for an easy and affordable way for a gun company to give you an extra cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom