• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliber Choice

I've used a M77 Mkii in .270 for years. With Hornady SST's I would put it up against rifle within 200 yards to take down a deer. I have yet to lose a deer and knock wood I never do with this setup. Installing a Timney trigger made a HUGE difference with this rifle and I have bullets touch each other at 100 yards. It's a stainless with an all weather stock so I'm never worried about rust or dings. To each their own but this is just my experience. Some times though I still get a wild hair and bust out my 30-30 or this year I'll be adding a 300 blackout to hunt in a spot where it's really thick so I can use my can and save some hearing for the later years!

I have used a 30/30 for years. Where I was hunting my shots were 100 yard max. Recently my situation has changed. I'm hunting where longer shots are available and I'm also hunting with my kids. While I will keep there shots within 100 I want something that can stretch it out a little further. I've considered 22-250 and 243 as both seem to be options with a little more range and a little less recoil.

If you have the opportunity and skillset to shoot deer at 500+ yards in ga shoot whatever elephant caliber you want. Most have neither. Without a Hubbell telescope to dial in a 308 with a 200yd zero will shoot anything in ga out to 300 without having to hold over there back. Just another opinion.

For Georgians who hunt nothing larger than 140lb whitetails within 125yds, why do so many choose calibers like .300WM over more moderate ones like .30-30, .243 and .308? Is it a caliber pissing match with fellow hunters or something?

I went hunting several years ago with some acquaintances out in NE Georgia and was the only one to have anything smaller than a 300 mag. What gives?
In Georgia we sometimes have to shoot through brush hence the heavy calibers.

I've used a M77 Mkii in .270 for years. With Hornady SST's I would put it up against rifle within 200 yards to take down a deer. I have yet to lose a deer and knock wood I never do with this setup. Installing a Timney trigger made a HUGE difference with this rifle and I have bullets touch each other at 100 yards. It's a stainless with an all weather stock so I'm never worried about rust or dings. To each their own but this is just my experience. Some times though I still get a wild hair and bust out my 30-30 or this year I'll be adding a 300 blackout to hunt in a spot where it's really thick so I can use my can and save some hearing for the later years!
For a rifle cartridge on Whitetails, a 270 may be the best one out there. It will also do the job a lot farther out than 200 yards. I say this and don't even own a 270.

I have used a 30/30 for years. Where I was hunting my shots were 100 yard max. Recently my situation has changed. I'm hunting where longer shots are available and I'm also hunting with my kids. While I will keep there shots within 100 I want something that can stretch it out a little further. I've considered 22-250 and 243 as both seem to be options with a little more range and a little less recoil.
Go with the 243. That extra bullet weight makes a difference. Especially at longer ranges.

If you have the opportunity and skillset to shoot deer at 500+ yards in ga shoot whatever elephant caliber you want. Most have neither. Without a Hubbell telescope to dial in a 308 with a 200yd zero will shoot anything in ga out to 300 without having to hold over there back. Just another opinion.
A 308 will do it past 300 with ease, but a little hold over at 300 yards, with a 200 yard zero, will still be needed. There is a drop of about 9 inches. A hold at the top of the back would be just about perfect.

That's with a 175 grain bullet, but even lighter ones will need some hold over.

How is recoil with the 308 vs 243
The 308 is going to be a bit heavier. The 243 is basically a necked down 308 and shoots lighter bullets. All else being equal, a heavier bullet is going to have more recoil. With that said, most rifles chambered in 30-30 have terrible ergonomics for recoil, so a 308 bolt action doesn't really feel like it has a lot more recoil than a 30-30. At least that's my experience.

Back
Top Bottom