• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliber Choice

The only downside that I see is that ammo prices are similar to full size 30 caliber offerings and no steel case. 6.5 is available in steel case. Do you have a source for affordable ammo?

I typically reload at about .50 a round for high quality bullets, buy can but factory at around .8 to $1 a round.

I hunted for 20+ years with a 7mag but for the last 5 years I have been using a older Remington mountain rifle in 280 and absolutely love it.

I have taken some larger than average whitetail in the Adirondacks and into Canada as far as New Brunswick with a .25-06..... But, if you encounter a Moose during his rut, you would hope your friend toted something with a lil more ass...

.300 RUM
1. Color blind and have difficulty following blood trail
2. Like being able to shoot 400yds without holding over
3. Velocity & Barnes are deadly

I always thought that big magnums for deer hunting were silly--- a way of waving your tool around to show everyone how big it was.

Then a friend let me take a shot with his .300 Rem. Ultra Mag at a turtle in a pond. I missed, but it looked like an anti-ship mine had just detonated under the water.

An hour later, he used that rifle to shoot a groundhog from about 50 yards. Turned that poor critter into confetti. Body parts were raining down for several seconds after the shot. Biggest chunk we could find was the size of a baseball cap (with one leg still attached where the cap would have the brim). Other chunks were more like packs of cigarettes or decks of cards. Pink mist hung in the air and settled down into the grass for several yards downwind.

Now, I'm thinking that there's something appealing about hunting with a rifle that just doesn't inflict a wound that is likely to be fatal within several seconds or minutes, but one that almost guarantees a "bang-flop" effect with any hit in the vitals.

This year we will be placing our bets on the 243. I am hoping that my 14 yr old daughter gets her first and maybe even my 8 yr old. Don't care if I pull the trigger after I get it sighted.

Back
Top Bottom