Caliber Choice

We have some friends that ask us to go hunt, range shoot with them, and they allow us to use some of their arms, from 22-250 up to 338 Lapua, however we prefer the 240Wby, 243, 257 Roberts, 257 Wby, 7-08, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5x300Wby, its just plain personal preference, and what the individuals want.

No matter, what it all comes down to is bullet placement, and how comfortable shooting which caliber each individual shoots or decides to chose to shoot... Besides your game can't get any more dead, than dead...

No doubt a good round.
My buddy nabbed a trio one season of two bucks and the doe they were chasing with his
Browning .270.
One of the best hunting stories I ever got to witness.

Oh yeah, the BAR. My personal deer slaying machine as well. This year will mark 30 seasons for me and mine. What a great gun.

My grandfather killed a big mule deer with a .243 at over 400 yards after he was too old to shoot a 30-06 comfortably. The deer trotted off about 40 yards and flopped over. I was interested in the 25-45 Sharps until I contacted the company for reloading data and heard crickets. I didn't buy their barrel or bcg due to the complete lack of response. If the .243 can get it done on that big of a deer at that range, It can get it done at 45 yards under some oak trees.

I believe it's a pissing contest macho type thing.

A guy showed me pics of a pretty big deer he shot in Mid GA few years back. I, being the gun nerd that I am, asked him what kind of rifle did he hit him with? With a toothy grin, he told me .300 Win mag. I said man that's a lot of gun. His reply was "you can hit them anywhere and they drop"......Shot placement?...

A 30-30 comes in many flavors - lever, bolt, pump and single shot. Great round to start new hunters on (young or old). The ammo can be bought anywhere from hardware stores to WalMart. It can be had in flat point, round point, flex tip (all safe in levergun tubes) 150-170gr factory loadings and a few in between. Good brush busting round and easy on the wallet and shoulder. Will kill anything that walks in GA. Core Lokt by Remington is a good one for the 30-30. Great for food plots or drives.

.243, 7MM-08, .223, 257 Rob., .270, .308, 30-06., 7.62X39, etc. etc. etc. etc. All good choices. 7MM Mag and .300 WIN MAG are good too, but are a whole lot of extra when smaller effective rounds will get the job done with proper shot placement.

No good answer to this question.

I prefer to bow hunt in Georgia. Anthing over .308/.270 is just overkill. Unless you are shooting over 300 yds.
I get all my meat from Patak in Austell. I've never lost anything there and i've never had to trail anything,it's already cleaned and ready to eat.I know i'm missing the mud,water,cold,heat skeeters,chiggers,money on a couple of guns,ammo,non sent cloths,survival gear,knives,treestands,camo gear,trail cams,Yeti coolers,drink,food,car,gas,getting the deer processed. Then come home and cook it on my EEG. What a deal.Lol

I get all my meat from Patak in Austell. I've never lost anything there and i've never had to trail anything,it's already cleaned and ready to eat.I know i'm missing the mud,water,cold,heat skeeters,chiggers,money on a couple of guns,ammo,non sent cloths,survival gear,knives,treestands,camo gear,trail cams,Yeti coolers,drink,food,car,gas,getting the deer processed. Then come home and cook it on my EEG. What a deal.Lol

Well...ok.

I’m not sure how a discussion of caliber choice turned into an anti hunting post?

Back
Top Bottom