• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliber Choice

I've gone back to my 7.62x39 AR15 from the AR10 in 308. Most of the shots I take are under 100 yards (15-40 is more likely). Lighter gun, quieter suppressed, and cheap Wolf HP ammo. Never had a deer survive a hit from my 7.62x39. Brother uses either his 35 Rem or a 308 bolt.

I hunt 99 percent of the time with archery all season but when I’m in the big woods I’ve had great luck with my 6.8spc.

The 6.8 and 6.5 make a lot of sense. Especially for someone who uses an ar regularly that doesn't own a traditional deer rifle. If I were starting from scratch, that would be my choice instead of a bolt gun. I just can't see using an M1 or a Mauser type rifle with irons at daylight and dusk unless that is all that I had and only hunted twice a year. The 6.8 semi auto works for a lot of situations.

The only downside that I see is that ammo prices are similar to full size 30 caliber offerings and no steel case. 6.5 is available in steel case. Do you have a source for affordable ammo?

I bought mine from Ammo man.com

I’ll buy enough to last me several years of hunting season.
Just enough to sight in and stay proficient and to hunt with so I personally don’t do mag dumps with my hunting ar’s and a couple boxes will last me a looong time.

I would feel comfortable with most common rounds, but I have always hunted with a .270. Always have, always will. Like a lightning bolt in the hardwoods.

No doubt a good round.
My buddy nabbed a trio one season of two bucks and the doe they were chasing with his
Browning .270.
One of the best hunting stories I ever got to witness.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom